Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Shooting in Chattanooga leaves 4 Marines and the shooter dead.

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by USS Washington, Jul 16, 2015.

1. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The politicians are humming and hawing around, they don't want to call it a terrorist attack, but the attack today in Chattanooga WAS a terrorist attack. Four Marines killed, the shooter a natuaralized US citizen and Muslim. If there was no connection to ISIS, how did they know to tweet a comment BEFORE the first shooting?

View attachment 22746

Well the site of the attack is about 50 yards from where I work, it was one hell of a firefight. At least 200-300 rounds exchanged. The shooter:

[​IMG]

Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez.

Attached Files:

USS Washington likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Personally i donr agree with the publication of names or pictures...attempted murderer or murderer...or homocidal maniac should be all the fame and recognition they get...now hes famous to his people...a martyr...a broken unit more like...

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Wow...also think his face should be wiped clean.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The armed citizen is always a good thing, no matter what the liberals and democrats say about it.

Glad you're ok.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

This guy was an armed citizen...

7. Takao

Takao Ace

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Were you at the office at the time MrP?

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

He was an armed bad guy. Totally different meaning. Armed good guys make dead bad guys.

Terry D likes this.
  10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I was actually standing in the parking lot with another guy and watched it unfold. I was standing next to the guys truck talking to him when the first shots at the Riverpark-Navy/Marine Reserve Center were fired. It was probably twenty rounds or so and sounded like pistol fire going two ways. Another guy I work with came running out of the office and shouted at me, is that gunfire. I feel bad about it now, but I replied, "Yeah, probably ISIS trying to get into the armory and they got into a gunfight with the duty". The sound of the last round had no more than died away when you could hear sirens, then maybe four police cars went flying by and turned into the Riverpark. No more than a few seconds later there was another burst/exchange of gunfire, the guy that came out of the office went back in. I told Darren, the guy in the truck to pull his truck crossways in the parking lot and we stood behind it and watched. Well we didn't watch, we listened, we were on the opposite side of Amnicola Highway and there's a treeline on the other side and the Reserve Center is right behind it. Anyway, I told Darren the police got here too quick to be reacting to the shooting, they must have been chasing somebody. We assumed it was a bank robbery or something. The shooter had actually been chased from shooting up the Armed Forces Recruiting Offices over on Lee Highway. That's the place they keep showing on the news, a Marine was wounded there, shot in the leg. All four Marines that were killed were at the Reserve Center, and another Marine, a sailor and the police officer were wounded there.
    Anyway, there was another exchange of thirty, forty rounds, this time you could tell it was pistol and .223, when it died down we assumed they'd hit the shooter. Then maybe 14 police cars and a motorcycle cop came flying down Amnicola and off Dupont Parkway and stopped along the far shoulder of Amnicola in a long line from the entrance to the Riverpark to my left down to Dupont Parkway on my right. Maybe, 300 yards of road frontage. The police started getting out and putting on body armor and getting M4's/M16's/AR15's out of their trunks. The line of officers started moving into the woods, then there was a fairly long exchange of gunfire, started moving from my direct front to my right. Told Darren, this is a real, no shit gunfight. Sounds like they're pushing the bad guy down towards the bridge. Then the firing died down and officers started backing out of the trees. Another car pulled up and five or six officers stacked up, tactically like behind it and it started moving slowly towards the right with the officers moving alongside, the firefight behind the trees flared up and died down, flared up died down. Then a flurry of shooting and the car started backing back down our way with the officers crouched behind it, only a couple four-five round bursts after that. The shooting abruptly ended, but police kept coming, the SWAT team with an MRAP, dogs, a Highway patrol helicopter. A member of the senior management came out and yelled, you idiots get in the building, the police have told us to get everyone inside and close and lock the gates. I said, I think it's over, there hasn't been a round fired for 10 minutes or so. They said, the police say there are reports of a second shooter, Amnicola is shut down and all businesses and the Chattanooga State (College) are supposed to go into lockdown. This was about 11:30. They finally started to let people leave around 3:00pm.

This video was taken by a guy next to where we were standing. He catches the very end. To the right you can see the car I was talking about backing up.
    http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/viewer-captures-shooting-video-18780.shtml

[​IMG]

This is a picture I took when they made us come inside and shut the gates. That's the truck Darren and I were standing behind. They made us leave it.
    Edit: Apparently senior management was right, because the FBI came by to check out bullet holes in the office windows. I never heard any rounds coming our way, they all sounded like they were going left and right.

Slipdigit and Poppy like this.
  11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Have to admit, foreign nations would think twice about a surprise mass attack on anywhere in the US. Local people would be oot and aboot, with their guns protecting their home/city.
    Like the recent resort attack, where ahmed got off on the beach and killed a bunch of tourists. That could happen in Canada, and because we don't have guns- well, who would stop them?
    For instance, Vancouver has a humungous Chinese population. Who is to say that within that population, say, 1/4 are not inserted Chinese troops?
    And what could Canada possibly do aboot it :
    "Hey, that's not nice eh. Give us Vancouver back."

Time to give us our guns back, so we can help if needed. And, being Canada, they should be free.
    I'll place my order now: Chromed / gold plated M14.

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

WOW. Didn't see that last post until after...That is amazing...Was he targeting the recruitment centre?

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

News worthy event. Tried to send CBC a mail regarding your inside info, but they wanted 7 layers of id before could even submit the tip.

14. USS Washington

Why must everything be politicized, just inform the public what happened and pay respects to the victims and their families, the media today is so screwed up!

15. USS Washington

What's with this reluctance to just admit that this was a terrorist attack, whether a lone wolf or sponsored by ISIS, this was an act of terrorism meant to bring harm to the American people and its armed forces, politicians are idiots. Btw, I'm glad you're okay Price. :)

16. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Before the 4th of july was not Isis calling for lone wolf type attacks by anyone against any type of military or government targets. Can troops at recruitment centers carry arms ? or is that against policy. Police go armed in public I think all military personnel need to as well. Side arms on military personnel would not be out of order and centers, bases, various depots should have M-4's or M-16's at the ready . these are different times and we appear to be reacting not preparing. Four good men killed and more wounded by a single shooter at two site should not happen. Could not recruiting offices, ROTC centers, bases, depots, warehouses, etc be connected , in this electronic world, so an attack ion one would be quickly known to all.

Someone correct me if my memory is wrong but it seemed the attack at Ft. Hood resulted in city police coming to the base to end or help end that shooting. What happened to that shooter ? In 2015 the military needs to be allowed to protect itself as well as us.

We have an ROTC building on the local University campus, all services, that I use to visit . I am guessing 30-40 military personnel there. I never saw a weapon there and 22 training-target rifles were locked away at the range.. They appeared to be unarmed and subject to just such an attack..

I am not a paranoid type of person but it appears some preparation is in order. perhaps it is and I am not aware. I was born and raised in the rural South on a farm. Guns were normal on a farm. shotguns, 22's, an M-1 Carbine, a Springfield and Enfield, a haft dozen pistols. People in town, Selma, Al, had a few guns , perhaps a shotgun and pistol. In post-WW2, a good many surplus guns but guns were not a big deal and ownership usually based on need (hunting ) or collecting. everyone was generally pretty responsible , well my father lost an arm in a gun cleaning accident and I shot myself through the calf practicing fast drawing so we are suspect. ! But I find the citizen army idea pretty scary. there are lots of armed responsible and capable people in the US but there seems to be also a huge number of over armed, to me, folks with little self control, who flaunt weapons and insist on carry them to the grocery store to show they can. I imagine mast shootouts will ill defined targets in the future. I hope I exaggerate.

I do not think strict gun control is the answer, probably no gun control will work but a lot of what I see is not " well ordered " even at ranges let alone Winn-Dixie. To be truthful I have only seen one guy carrying a Mossberg 500 in a grocery store but the open carry of pistols strangely makes old gun guy me slightly uncomfortable. Oddly, perhaps, but I prefer consealed carry in public places. sort of like having good manners.

I do not pretend to know the answer to any of this. I do not want our troops surviving wars to come home to be killed in a strip mall but having a heavily armed untrained citizenry protect them seems ludicrous as well. Perhaps there is not an answer. 200-300 million guns are not going away and I like mine and my daughter does hers too. I guess this is just the way it is. A return to the good old days, the OK Corral.

I am just a bit upset by those four marines, I know shootings happens constantly but I cannot adjust to it so quickly anymore.. I guess I am just frustrated.

Kindly,

Gaines

PS, Poppy, I like your choice of a weapon......but in gold plate !!!!! No way.

USS Washington likes this.
  17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It is amazing to me how effective that "No Firearms Allowed" sign on the front door of the office was in protecting those men.

Terry D and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  18. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Spot on, Jeff. The irony of a "No Firearms Allowed" sign at a military recruiting office...

View attachment 22749

It seems the new storyline is to shift the blame from Islamic terrorism to domestic violence: Court docs alleged violence in shooter's home

And, as usual, the real news is buried at the end of the news story:

"Convicted? No. Never convicted."

Attached Files:

19. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I heard on the news today that a federal law prohibits recruiters from the US armed forces from carrying weapons while at their job . Can this be true ? When and why was such a law passed .? Oklahoma just passed a law saying the national Guard recruiters can carry side arms. Other states are considering it

As I stated before Isis ask it's followers to attack US military installations over the 4th of July. Not allowing recruiters to defend themselves seems totally irresponsible.
    If it is a law then some Congress passed it and some president passed it.

20. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

The law seems to say that it must be specifically authorized in order to be legal.