Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Shooting in Chattanooga leaves 4 Marines and the shooter dead.

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by USS Washington, Jul 16, 2015.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

You're correct about the Christie/Whitney Houston flag lowering situation. But how do you explain he reacted more, and commented more on the Gay Marriage, SC Church shooting events? They did light up the White House with Rainbow colored lights same day the decision came down. As for the Chattanooga shooter, we was a flawed individual, it's those vulnerable types that are targeted by ISIS. They're still trying to put the shooting off on some other reason than he was radicalized, however, he did change after his trip to Jordan, he had been following a well known radical cleric, and some of his last messages did quote Islamic verse and he intimated he was making amends to Allah for his failures. He did have problems with and was angered by US foreign policy. He didn't just attack random sites, he specifically targeted Marines. At the recruiting center the Army/ARNG, Marine, Navy and Air Force offices are all side by side, while there were a few hits on the offices to either side, virtually all the bullets hit the Marine Recruiting office. Then he went directly to the Navy/Marine Reserve. He grew up here, so his perceptions would be colored by his experiences here. Mike Battery, the Marines, deployed three times to Iraq. The first two deployments included heavy combat involvement. Local radio and TV stations went over and embedded with them. They had huge going away and homecoming celebrations and coverage. The men they lost were well covered. The other units from the other services did not see as much action or coverage. The exception would be the Army Brigade Combat team from nearby Cleveland, TN, but because it was from another city it didn't get quite as much press. There was also, by chance, a much larger proportion of area service members from Chattanooga and the nearby communities in the metro area killed during the wars and their funerals/burials were well reported and well attended. Probably 2/3d's of the local fatalities or severe injuries were to Marines, so that was to a large degree the local face to the war. As more information is coming out, don't know how much is making it's way up to the national media, it's more and more definitive that he was radicalized during his recent stay in Jordan. They're now taking a different tack and claiming it wasn't "actually" a terrorist attack because the victims were military personnel.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

What is the point of parsing words to make it "not" a terrorist attack? Even the press has dug out enough to show this guy was radicalized and in touch with Islamic elements in the middle east. The uncle he stayed with in Jordan has been arrested and was already on their "watch" list. Being Obama's press spokesman must be the worst job in the world.

3. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

The basic reasoning, if I understand it correctly. Is that when our troops attack a ISIS training facility and kill those inside we call that a successful military operation. When a radical Muslim attacks one of our recruiting facilities why then should it be terrorism?

The problem with this reasoning is that the attacker was not wearing a uniform. Nor to my knowledge legally a soldier.

If some would want to contest my argument is simply a bit of legal baffle-gab and that a soldier is a soldier regardless of uniform. It simply highlights the cultural differences in the 2 sides. One side uses uniforms for many reasons but the major reason is to reduce the number of civilian casualties. The other uses civilians to hide behind. As was demonstrated so blatantly with Hamas firing missiles from a lot adjacent to a hospital and storing ammunition underneath it.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

He's a Democrat, and those are all Democratic "pet" voting blocks...What more needs to be said.

As to the Military and the Democrats...A picture is worth 1000 words
    [​IMG]

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Just keep running Mr. Funnyman!

6. Takao

Takao Ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I sincerely hope that never happens. That's one of the last things we need.

8. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

The guy in Chattanooga is neither a soldier nor a disturbed individual. A soldier, according to the rather old fashioned codes which used to prevail, wears a uniform, takes an oath to serve an organized state, observes the laws of war. A disturbed indivdual or psychopath or whatever shrinks are calling them these days commits criminal acts because of mental illness, incomprehension of the nature of good and evil, or some chemical or neurological problem. This person was obviously not a soldier--he took no oath, he wore no uniform, he serves no state (Isis isn't a state, it's a pan-national political movement), and he never heard of the laws of war. If this person is a "soldier," then so was The Professor in Conrad's The Secret Agent and so was the Tsarnaev who was captured three blocks from where I live. If this person was a soldier, he would have gone to Iraq and fought there in the open. He certainly isn't a mental case. Sure, he may have been depressed or unhappy, but most of us experience those emotions during periods of our lives; most of us don't kill people as a result. He was--IS--an Islamist who did what he did out of political motives. The method he chose was terrorism, or murder (to call it by its right name). I don't like the euphemisms we use for people like this. Of course, if you are of certain political opinions you can pretend that such people don't exist at all.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

A senseless act of terrorism. I must say that I was quite surprised that the most qualified to bare arms were not allowed to do so. I was unaware of this law.

R.I.P.

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

They buried the last of the five servicemen killed in the shooting, Navy Petty Officer Randall Smith, on Tuesday at the Chattanooga National Cemetary. Turn out for his funeral was very good also. LCpl. Skip Wells, the youngest of those killed was buried in the Georgia National Cemetary, in Canton, GA (located north of Atlanta) over the weekend. One of the Marines in my older sons unit, that was killed during their Iraq deployment is buried there also. We went to his funeral and burial, while the unit was still deployed. It's a beautiful place.
    Here's a video of part of LCpl Wells procession, the Cemetary is waaaay out in the country.

https://youtu.be/qAmWKcw6-Ls

My son and two other Marines from the deployment visited his grave on the Memorial Day after they got back. The guy on the right is still in and is a Lt. in a Marine Corps Tank battalion at 29 Palms now.

View attachment 22803

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 and Poppy like this.
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

a field of champions...

12. Dave55

Dave55 Member

He won't. He'll be a Transportation Secretary for Hillary

13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Oh, yeah now that really makes me feel a LOT better :(

14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

15. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Uh-huh, so because he returned fire against an Islamic terrorist in a supposedly "gun-free zone", he's to be charged for it, even though he and his fellow sailors and the Marines there were being attacked...what a crock of s***!

16. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Don't worry. If our government lost 6 soldiers, released 5 terrorists and probably spent millions arranging the freedom of a deserter.
    There's no way they would imprison a soldier for defending his fellow soldiers with a handgun in a gun free zone. Probably.

17. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Why am I not surprised.

18. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The motive for the attack is still "unclear" to the White House.

19. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

He was hugged to much as a child and always got a trophy

20. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Turns out Mr. West jumped the gun or his source wasn't adequately vetted. (Jim Webb has also said the Navy will bring charges) The Navy at present has no plans to discipline the Officer, Lieutenant Commander Timothy White, they state that it is too early in the investigation.

Official Navy Website: “Stories of Navy personnel being charged with an offense are not true. There is still a long way to go in reviewing the facts of this tragic incident, but at this time we can confirm no service member has been charged with an offense.”

We knew the day the shooting happened that the Navy CO (Lt Commander White) and one of the Marines, rumored to have been Gunny Sullivan had returned fire. Local media reported that day that two weapons belonging to service personnel had been recovered at the scene. It was several days later that this came out in the national media.
    I'm not saying they won't eventually charge him, just that currently there are no plans. My personal opinion is that they're waiting on the ballistic results and the autopsy. The FBI keeps intimating that a fuller account of the story will come out then. The local media has had a lot of interaction with the 18 Marines that were there and escaped. There's a lot of witness testimony that the Marine, either Sullivan or Wyatt (they just say it was one of the senior Marines), wounded the assailant, before the police arrived. The Navy's JAG is required to review the case, that does not mean they have to charge anyone. There were lots of rounds flying and for a witness to say definatively which one, if either, wounded the assailant. It is also likely that when the autopsy is released, if one of the two wounded him, that they're even bigger heros than just protecting their own men. If he was wounded, it could be argued that it slowed him enough for the police to arrive and it saved many of the people in the River Park (including women and small children) and the college students at Chattanooga State at the far end of the River Park. I could tell from the shooting he was pushing in that direction and then fell back after running into police down by DuPont Parkway, police that weren't there several minutes earlier.

We may still need to be outraged at some later date, just not right now.