Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Shooting in Chattanooga leaves 4 Marines and the shooter dead.

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by USS Washington, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well, we must follow the letter of the law, just like the emperor has when emplementing his little healthcare fiasco. Obviously, the sailor should have died instead of defending himself.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The source was in touch with the Naval Officer and though he doesn't say so directly, it appears that Mr. West spoke with him as well. It sounds like West is parsing his words to avoid saying he has spoken directly with the accused to spare him further difficulties. West is a pretty respectable and reliable figure and I tend to trust what he says.

I don't know if you are retired USMC who might go on military bases regularly, but my experience (at least on Army and AF Bases in Alaska) is that guns are legal in your car, in a locked gun case. If that is the case service wide (does anybody know?), then why is the JAG even investigating? The officer in question is the CO and with the earlier shooting at the recruiting office it would seem perfectly prudent to retrieve a weapon and ask or even order others to do so.

They should be investigating whether any commendations are in order.

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Hey, I'm a big fan of West myself. Respectable and reliable, yes. I also mentioned former SecNav and Senator Webb also tweeted that the Navy would charge Commander White. There was a lot of righteous indignation here, including myself. The Mayors office and all the local papers contacted the Navy Department to verify and they denied it was true. The Navy put out on their website, a written statement and all social media sites that there were currently no plans to charge anyone. That's a pretty firm denial and one that would cause them a great deal of problems if they lied. I think the source overheard the issue being discussed by persons with the authority to bring charges, possibly were aware of political pressure being applied for the officer to be charged, or something of that nature.

On bases all the time. JAG is investigating the shooting, all shootings, even fully legitimate ones, are investigated.

The locations are fairly close and the time between the shootings so little, that I doubt the Commander had any advance warning. The first sign something was amiss was when the car was weaving through the barriers and crashed the gate. It's pretty certain that the Gunny retrieved his on his way from the gun park/motor pool to the building, not so clear how the Commander got to his.

I agree, he should be commended.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

5. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)