Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Shout out to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by JJWilson, Oct 6, 2017.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

New Zealand took part in many campaigns along side their British counterparts, usually winding up in less than favorable situations and battles. New Zealand declared war on Germany on September 3rd 1939, two days after the German invasion of Poland. The New Zealander's didn't directly get involved in WW2 until the Italian invasion of Greece (30 Kiwi's volunteered for the RAF during the Battle of Britain). At First the Allies held off the Italians, until the Germans got involved. Soon the Allies and the New Zealand 2nd Division were forced to retreat to Crete, where a massive German airborne assault took place. Then once again they were evacuated and would then take part in Operation Crusader the Siege of Tobruk, and the Tunisian campaign. Then with the attack on Pearl Harbor and an invasion of Australia, and there home islands a real threat, the Kiwis fought the Japanese throughout the Pacific until the end of the war. The New Zealand military also took part in Italy for the entirety of the war, and had multiple failed attempts to take Monte Cassino. 11,700 Kiwis were killed in the conflict. Proportionally 30% more than Great Britain (Flagel). Let us never forget New Zealands sacrifice, for their families and country. For those who served we thank you, and honor you, no matter where we are from, we see you as heroes.
    -Wilson
    Here are some Kiwis in Greece, Crete, Africa, Italy, and the Pacific
    upload_2017-10-6_12-20-4.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-6_12-20-53.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-6_12-21-24.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-6_12-21-47.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-6_12-22-13.jpeg

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

NZ also has every know Middle Earth location. Walking trees! Mountains of Doom! Gotta love it.

Except the wetas, they're creepy.

Brian Groughan likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Brothers in arms...scarey fighters. Today Australia takes a big part in defending her....bit like like the US to Australia.

Brian Groughan and JJWilson like this.
  4. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

It's fantastic to know the U.S has many 'friends" who don't need to be given things to tolerate the U.S (Egypt, Pakistan, Venezuela......need I go on?). Australia and New Zealand being two of our biggest friends in the Pacific to this day, plus Japan and Canada.

Brian Groughan likes this.
  5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

New Zealand , land of the Maoris...has a tradition of a "Haka" before sporting events...Most Islander nations have a Haka...either designed to welcome or intimidate...Here are a some:

Against England

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Against Australia:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Against the US

Attached Files:

Milestone and Brian Groughan like this.
  6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My great uncle's TD Bn supported the 2nd NZ at Cassino,

JJWilson and Brian Groughan like this.
  7. Brian Groughan

Brian Groughan Member

Good call I have a foot either side of the ditch, but lean a little more to the land of the long white cloud, due to my ancestral roots. For what NZ had in man power they delivered time and again with guts and passion just he same as their fellow combatants. My father(Qld) fought in the Pacific and have uncles from NZ who were in the world conflict giving it all for the betterment of us here today, great uncles mainly from NZ in the first war giving so much of their youth to a conflict so very far away.
    Brian

JJWilson, ColHessler and CAC like this.
  8. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I second that. Throughout the 20th Century, we've had such good mates in the Aussies and Kiwis. We thank you.

CAC, Brian Groughan and JJWilson like this.