Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Silver & Bronze Star citations of 324th Infantry Regiment - April 1945

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Horvath1988, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Horvath1988

Horvath1988 recruit

Hello all together,

in one of the final battles in my home district in Germany on 22 April 1945 at Geislingen/Steige some soldiers of the 324th Infantry Regiment, 44th Infantry Division were in heavy fighting with German troops (see regimental history attached below, starting on the end of p. 112).

Some of the below mentioned GIs fought very bravely in this battle so I took a look at the awards page in the regimental history and I found all of them there with Silver or Bronze Star awards, maybe for the action on the 22 April 1945 in Geislingen. Where I can find the Silver (or Bronze) Star Citations of following soldiers of the 324th Infantry Regiment or in which GO are they published:

• Co. M - Pfc. Aaron S. Van Buskirk (Silver Star); Pfc. Howard A. Wiley (Silver Star); Pfc. Kenneth B. Thomas (Silver Star);
    • Co. L - S/Sgt. Paul J. Strauser (Bronze Star)
    Thank you in advance!

CombatHistory324thInfReg_0112.jpg CombatHistory324thInfReg_0113.jpg

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Their discharge papers should indicate the particular GO (i.e. number, date, and issuing unit) for their respective awards. It is most likely that the awards were issued by the 44th ID and would be in the Division's General Orders. The GOs will be with the Division records at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. I have an index (or listing) of the 44th ID records held at College Park. I'll have to dig it out and scan it, so I can post the relevant pages... if you are interested, that is.

3. Horvath1988

Horvath1988 recruit

Hi Tommy,

thank you for your reply.
    It would be cool if you could scan the GO list from the 44th ID. So it would be easier to find the right one.

Unfortunatly NARA is closed due corona. So I had no chance to get Discharge papers / OMPF or other documents from there.

4. TD-Tommy776

Just to be clear, I do not have a list of the individual GO's. What I have is a list of all the 44th ID records at the NARA in College Park. The list references After Action Reports, Journals, Intelligence reports, and also General Orders. Within the list of 44th ID records, there are also lists of records for subordinate units like the 324th Infantry. It will make more sense when I get a chance to post some of the pages so you can actually see it.

5. TD-Tommy776

I finally tracked down the listing of 44th ID records. I have attached the 2 pages which refer to 44th ID General Orders:
    44th_ID_Index_Pg_0013.jpg 44th_ID_Index_Pg_0015.jpg

There was also a page listing record for the 324th Infantry Regiment. Unfortunately, it does not indicate any GOs for the Regiment.
    324th_IR_Index_Pg_0012.jpg