Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Similarities between WW1 and WW2 for Soldiers in Battle?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Pelorus, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Pelorus

Pelorus recruit

Hi there
    I am doing a bit of research and would like to know your opinions/facts/ideas about ALL KINDS of similarities between WW1 and WW2, since I found the question of great impotance and not as obvious as the differences between them.

In what ways were it similar for the soldiers in battle?
    What kind of similarities in tactics, battles, weapons etc?

Well, such kind of questions is of great interest and I would love to hear your opinions and what you find most important through the wars.

All answers are of greatest appreciation.

Cheers

2. Pelorus

Pelorus recruit

Noone?
    Not even refer to a site where I can find some of them?

3. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hello Pelorus, and welcome to WW2F

You may get a better responce to your questions if you mention what information you currently have, and your own opinions and ideas first.....it would be a better conversation starter. Generally people are not going to spend a lot of time answering questions for the 'sake of it'.

anyway good luck with your research

4. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Seeing as this is not solely a WW2 related thread, but one attempting to compare ww1 to ww2, it has been moved to the Military History Forum and out of the WW2 General.

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

It will depend on each individual nation, of course. Britain didn't bring in conscription until 1916, whereas in WW2 it started in 1939. Both the French and Germans started both wars with conscripts.
    British troops started ww2 with the same small arms they had used in WW1, with the exception of the Bren LMG.

6. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Canadian troops in WWII started off wearing WWI uniforms, when there were uniforms available.

Similarities during battle was that the battle over the dikes in the Scheldt was far too similar to trench warfare. Troops would hunker into the side of the dike, they and the Germans were so close to each other that they could sometimes hear each other, and when throwing grenades they were lobbing them over the top. Artillery barrages were ineffective when the troops of both sides were so close together without cover. To get past the dike, the troops would have to scramble over the top and hope they would be one of those that survived.

GRW likes this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

While I am not a strategist or a tactician, from my relatively uneducated point of view, Germany's WW1 Schlieffen Plan, and WW2's Fall Gelb seem eerily similar. Both counted on a rapid envelopment of the French by going through Belgium and ultimately wheeling southwest towards Paris. I know there were enormous differences in the details, but it seems to me that the concepts were nearly the same.