Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Snaps : Barbarossa Transport Column

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Martin Bull, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Collecting Ostfront snapshots is quite addictive and also fascinating. This little unidentified group are all from the same camera ( the developers' mark on the reverse confirms this ). The originals are very small and 'rough' - they're mostly overexposed and have suffered nicks and scratches over the years. A little judicious use of Photoshop brings out much detail and helps to offset the overexposure.

They certainly have the feel of Barbarossa Summer 1941 : hot, the trucks seem to be in trouble, the road is unmetalled and what I believe to be a Renault truck can be seen ( a lot of French trucks were used in Barbarossa but by all accounts quickly wilted under the strain - and spare parts weren't plentiful ).

( 'Believe to be..'? :eek: I'm not very good on truck ID's - I've tried my best for this thread but where's von Poop when you need him......? )

[​IMG]

The above is a Bussing-NAG, possibly a 4500 series....

[​IMG]

Despite very poor condition, I like this one. The foreground vehicle is an Adler 3Gd, but I'm especially interested in the further one which is ( I believe ;) ) a Renault....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the ubiquitous Zeltbahn 31, and a spanner or wrench in the hand of the man on the right.

Impossible to look at pics like these without wondering who were they ? What happened to them all ?

ProsEvotvof and fruiniulk like this.