Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Soccer WC 2018

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anybody watching? 3-4 Games per day as it is the beginning phase. Until the mid-july almost. CR7 already made a hat-trick.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Watched most of Croatia - Nigeria today. Didn't see Messi's PK, but I watched the replay. Terrible shot. Saw some of Spain - Portugal yesterday. I thought Spain would win, but Cristiano Ronaldo is amazing. Tomorrow's games look pretty good.

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Been watching all I can, between naps. Just saw poor Poland knocked out.
    Hope Argentina can turn it around Wednesday.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Soccer is almost as bad as golf to watch. On a par with baseball and tennis. I'll pass.

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

My bracket is garbage now.

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I get to watch the first half eating breakfast, the 2nd half at work, and then the later game at work as well. If we're busy, its more background noise in the back, but a lot of clients don't mind poking their head in to see what is happening.

Some pretty exciting games so far, quite a few upsets as well. VAR seems to be done well - only holds up play for about a minute if the ref has to go and check it. It has been consulted several times and they really only screwed it up once or twice (the 2nd 'Hand of God' for Argentina, for instance).

I am surprised Germany got knocked out, but not shocked. They had an 'older' team and prior to this tournament, 3 of the past 4 holders had been knocked out in the group stage, so it kind of makes sense.

England vs Belgium today should be a good match - as opposed to ducking out, both teams will prefer to play Japan over Colombia!

lwd - dare I ask what sports you watch?

ColHessler likes this.
  7. lwd

lwd Ace

As far as I'm concerned (at least now) sports are for playing not watching. If I had to watch a sport hockey would be my preference. If I were to watch soccer I'd prefer armature to the pros.

8. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I'm currently on holiday on the island of Tenerife and have just secured my seat in front of the large TV screen in our hotel in readiness for the England v Belgium game.

It should be an interesting game and I predict England will win 2-1....but I'm bound to say that! :)

9. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I'm Keeping up with the World Cup, even though I'm not rooting for anybody since the U.S has been out. I prefer MLS, more specifically the Colorado Rapids.

10. Mussolini

I feel bad for you, having to watch the Retirement league as your first choice. Give me Premier League soccer everyday of the week!

JJWilson likes this.
  11. JJWilson

:D......Soccer isn't my usual first sport choice, I would enjoy Premier more if I had someone to root for. My sport watching is as follows...
    1. American Football
    2. National Hockey League
    3. MLB
    4. Soccer

12. green slime

green slime Member

Can't stand watching millionaires writhing in agony on the grass because they nearly bumped into each other.

Players have no respect for the refs in that game.

Good reasons to watch Rugby Sevens.

CAC and jagdpanther44 like this.
  13. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Chicago Fire for me, since that's where I was born.

14. jagdpanther44

Yes, it is rather comical watching them roll about on the floor in apparent agony and suddenly jump up once they know they have a free kick or penalty.

Tonight's England v Belgium game was rather mediocre for me, a few edge of seat moments but nothing special.

15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

In AFL (Australian Football League) - Faking or milking is against the rules and will result in a free kick to the opposition. (Usually the ref will give the player a warning first) "Play on! David! Don't do that again"...The crowd will laugh and vilify any player "faking it". Something Soccer should look into further...its pathetic watching grown men screaming and writhing on the ground like a child...not a good look.

JJWilson likes this.
  16. JJWilson

I only watch Soccer because I've played it for most of my life, I stopped playing after my Sophomore year because I needed a job and my grades weren't spectacular during the season. I was a keeper, mostly because I was the slowest on the team, I was one of 5 white guys on the whole team :D (The rest were Hispanic, Indian, or African American), and I was one of the tallest as well. All of the sports I watch, with the exception of Hockey, I've played at some point, which makes it more enjoyable for me to know what's going on, and to know what it feels like, in some ways, to be in the players place.

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great Goals in the matches. Russia was a Surprise. Today Japan took a 2-0 Lead but Belgium beat finally 3-2 in the end. Argentina was a disappointment.

18. jagdpanther44

It was a real shame that Japan lost as they played so well throughout the game.

This World Cup has been full of surprises with some of the favourite countries crashing out whilst others have gone a lot further in the tournament than expected.

19. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Brazil looked good today. Predictions on England - Colombia?

20. Mussolini

I would like to think England is the better all around team, but they tend to choke after the group stages.

Anything can happen on PK's and Spain, despite all its possession, hardly had a shot on goal. The usual Spanish Problem is they don't have any Finishers up front. Costa is no spring chicken and if he is their best answer...well, it explains why they aren't in it anymore (not to mention all the dope the Russian players are taking at the moment, some FIFA has swept under the rug for obviou$ re$on$).

ColHessler likes this.