Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Some naval battle questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vt1912, Jan 5, 2022.

1. vt1912

vt1912 New Member

1) I read in some naval battle accounts, passages about at certain time, certain location of the ship was struck by enemy shell of certain caliber ((for example, the ## caliber shell pierced the deck and exploded some level below in the __ compartment)) and # of sailors were KIA/WIA. and these facts are very exact. How are these facts ascertained, when the whole ship is being attacked.? Who's job is it to record all these facts during the chaos of the battle (or piece it all together post-battle), especially if that ship eventually sinks and the individual responsible for recording (and the records themselves) may not survive? Also, how would they know the caliber of the shells that landed?
    2) the Gun Directors on the warships (for e.g. M7) - once it figures out the firing solution, do they then remotely control where the guns should be pointing (fully automated), or do they figure out the solution and they tell the gun crew how to adjust the guns and the crew adjusts manually?
    3) when the shell misses the enemy ship, and adjustment must be made, how does the gun director figure out/account for, given that both ships are moving?

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Remote Power Control (Royal Navy term) was just coming into service in WWII; a few RN ships had it towards the end of the war. In the C class destroyers, the weight of the RPC installation required deletion of one of the two sets of torpedo tubes.

I don't have documentation, but I believe the latest USN systems had it:
    Mark 34 - main battery control in cruisers starting with the Brooklyn class and some modernized older CAs and BBs
    Mark 37 - 5" guns in many classes
    Mark 38 - main battery control in new BBs

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This video might answer some of your questions

Half Track likes this.