Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Some stats on Kriegsmarine guns

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by harolds, Nov 28, 2011.

1. harolds

harolds Member

These stats come from Miroslaw Skwiot's book, "German Naval Guns, 1939-1945". I did a search and didn't come up with anything exactly like this so I'm posting it here. This is some ballistic data from the following classes of ships: Bismark, Deutschland, Scharnhorst, and Hipper. Some interesting things came to light (at least to me) so I'm sharing it.

1. Bismark Class: 38cm (15") SK C/34; Shell weight 800kg (1760lbs), muzzle velocity 820mps (2681fps), Max range=35,550m (22 mi.)@ 30degrees elev.

2. Deutschland Class: 28cm (11") SK C/28; Shell wt. 300kgs (660lbs), muzzle velocity 910mps (2975fps), Max range 36,470m (22.5 mi.) @ 40 degrees elev.

3. Scharnhorst Class: 28cm (11") SK C/34; Shell wt. 330kgs (726lbs), muzzle velocity 890mps (2903fps), Max range 40,930m (25 mi.) @ 40 degrees elev.

4. Hipper Class: 20.3cm (8") SK C/34; Shell wt. 122kgs (268lbs), muzzle velocity 925mps (3025fps), Max range 33,540m (20.7 mi.) @ 37 degrees elev.

All these guns were designed with a working pressure of 3,200 kg/cm squared. This would account for their similar MVs.

I should also point out that for each gun the AP and HE rounds were designed to weigh the same. Therefore, firing data for each shell was the same. I assume that the HE shell was made heavier since they were longer than the AP projectiles. Making lighter AP rounds wouldn't make sense.

You can see that the Bismark Class guns don't seem to have the range of the 11" inch guns but that is probably due to the Bismark/Tirpitz turrets only being able to elevate to 30 degrees. According to the author, the designers figured that in the battles they had in mind, only 20 degrees of elevation was needed, but added another ten to take in the effect of the ship rolling in high seas.

Also note that the 11" guns on the Deutschland Class were different guns that the ones on the Scharnhorst class. I always had assumed that they were the same guns, but you can see that there was a different projectile used for each class and Skwiot says that the chambers were different on those guns. Notice too that the Schharnhorst Class guns had a somewhat heavier projectile but a slightly lesser MV than the Deutschland Class guns, which, according to the stats gives the SK C/34 guns a substantial increase in range of approximately 4000+ meters or 2.5 miles over the Deutschland Class guns. I personally don't see how this could be so different unless the Scharnhorst Class gun projectiles had a much better ballistic shape. Perhaps some of the experts here on the board could explain this.

It would also be interesting to see to stats on American and British guns that are the approximately equivilants of these so that one could compare them. I know the Iowa Class BB gun ballistics are out there but how about our 12" and 8" guns, as well as those for the Brits? Experts, please do your thing!

2. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Only 30º of elevation for the Bismarck class? I wonder how they sunk the Hood with plunging fire.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Only 30º of elevation for the Bismarck class? I wonder how they sunk the Hood with plunging fire.

"plunging" does not necessarily mean vertical or anything close to it. Indeed in this case the range was about 17,000 meters, so Bismarck's guns would have been well below maximum elevation. For a given combination of shell and deck, there is an angle, and therefore a range, beyond which the shell can penetrate. As I'm sure you know, Hood's deck protection, like that of most WWI era ships, was only 2-3", and it comprised structural steel rather than specially hardened armor. Admiral Holland's intent appears to have been to close to a range at which Bismarck's shells would strike at a sufficiently acute angle that they would not penetrate, and the change of course he ordered - two points/22.5 degrees to port - suggests that he felt they had reached it. That may also be part of the puzzle - when a ship turns to port, she heels to starboard; and for those few seconds the angle would be a bit more favorable for Bismarck than when Hood settled on course.