Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sonderkommando Revolt

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Hufflepuff, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

October 7, 1944

Auschwitz-Birkenau Death Camp, Oswiecim, Poland: Jewish Sonderkommados (camp inmates placed under duty for the burning of the corpses of the inmates) from Poland, Hungary, and Greece attack SS guards with hammers, stones, picks, crowbars, axes and other scratchbuilt weapons. Using explosives smuggled into the camp from a nearby munitions factory, the Sonderkommandos blow up one of the four crematiora in the camp. Russian POWs, having joined the revolt, threw an SS man alive into a furnace. SS soldiers fought back with machine guns, grenades and rifles, killing 250 of the revolters and ending the uprising. An additional 12 Jews who escaped the camp were later found and excecuted by the SS.

That same day, Soviet soldiers invaded occupied Hungary. The next January Auschwitz was liberated by the Red Army. Only 7,000 inmates of hundreds of thousands were found alive, including the father of Anne Frank, Otto. The Russians also uncover more than 7 TONS of human hair, shaved from the heads of inmates who were to be gassed.

The liberation hadn't come in time for the 1.5 Million people who died at Auschwitz. May their souls rest in peace.

2. Shangas

Shangas Member

From what I've read, Otto Frank only survived out of pure luck. He fell sick and was placed in the camp hospital (I'm amazed that Auschwitz HAD a hospital) and was left behind when the Russians came.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Based on actual events, THE GREY ZONE is the story of the Auschwitz's twelfth Sonderkommando - one of the thirteen consecutive 'Special Squads' of Jewish prisoners placed by the Nazis in the excruciating moral dilemma of helping to exterminate fellow Jews in exchange for a few more months of life.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, at least the movie " The Grey zone" was not very good at all. It actually looked pretty funny to see SS men etc hitting the jews gently with their sticks etc. " I´m so sorry but I should be hitting you in the back with my stick. is it ok with you?"..

5. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

This is a sick fact, but the camp 'hospital' was actually a scientific 'laboratory' for Nazi scientists. They used ill humans as guinea pigs there, especially identical twins. I'm not gonna post some of the stuff they did, unless someone wants to know...just sick things.

6. bigfun

bigfun Ace

I could be wrong here but didn't they kill like 80 nazis during the revolt?

7. TA152

TA152 Ace

I was curious what the Germans did with 7 tons of hair ? The only thing I can think of is filling for overcoats. Do any of you know ?

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I seem to reacll it being used for insulation. Something about it being used in U-boats.

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I believe that pillows were made from a large amount......