Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sports Legends who have Passed

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 14, 2008.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

DETROIT — Alex Karras was one of the NFL's most feared defensive tackles throughout the 1960s, a player who hounded quarterbacks and bulled past opposing linemen.

And yet, to many people he will always be the lovable dad from the 1980s sitcom "Webster" or the big cowboy who famously punched out a horse in "Blazing Saddles."

The rugged player, who anchored the Detroit Lions' defense and then made a successful transition to an acting career, with a stint along the way as a commentator on "Monday Night Football," died Wednesday. He was 77.

Goto:

Alex Karras Dead: Former Detroit Lions Star, Actor, Dies At 77

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Thanks for posting Clint. He was one of my favorites.

3. muscogeemike

muscogeemike Member

I loved the guy - I'll miss him so much more then other entainers (Michael Jackson).

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

A great football legend and an entertainer:

[video=youtube;8_RKPGS2vwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM[/video]

Rest well, Alex. You've lived a full life.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for posting, Clint. I remember him as a football player, an announcer, and an actor. Sorry to see him go.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

at times, there was no doubt he was a very talented boxer in his day. I didn't post this when it first hit the news, since he was hospitalized but the seriousness was sort of downplayed. But I am saddened to hear that Hector Camacho is "brain dead" and his family is facing this decision.

Goto:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49911650/ns/sports/#__utma=14933801.318650650.1352141834.1353605126.1353611191.78&__utmb=14933801.9.10.1353611191&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1352141834.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=72588307

Sorry that seems to be a dead link for some reason, I'll see if I can find one that works.

Goto:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/doctor-puerto-rico-boxer-camacho-135733204--spt.html

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I am neither a fan of the sport or very knowledgeable about its members, but I have heard of him and am saddened by this news.

With all the interest in head injuries in the NFL is it perhaps time to rethink boxing in a similar light?

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The force of a blow by a fist is less likely to produce a concussion than an impact in american style football. The helmet actually increases the problem since the helmet stops skull fractures, the brain inside the skull is still free to move and lessening the fracture risk makes men use their heads like battering rams. Camacho was shot in the head, not much he or anyone else could do about that.

Football, at even the collegiate levels generate over 100 gs if force multiple times in the length of a standard game, as measured at Virginia Tech over years of research. One of the hardest hitting heavy weights, Frank Bruno, could generate just over fifty gs in lab conditions under the best of circumstances and giving his best effort.

Here is a link to a discussion very like this from a while ago, go to #12 or the last one for a set of links on g forces experienced in different circumstances, some are surprising:

http://www.ww2f.com/sport-athletics/55839-surprised-me-big-time-2.html

9. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thanks for the links Clint.

Perhaps some context is in order.

In any Pro game 22 players (usually :)) are active on any given play. None of them play every down, a fair number don't play every down their position play's in each game (substitutions). Blows to the head are generally not intentional and when they are the offender is penalized (again usually). They play for 16 -18 week's with only one break, not including pre-season or the super bowl and of course the training camp. The object is to score the most points.

A boxer fights perhaps twice a year. Half of his/her's blows are aimed at the head. A boxer is judged by the number of 'knock-outs in his record. The object is to render your opponent unable to continue.

Watching Muhamed Ali over the last few years has just been painful.

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The major difference between the two sports is that the boxer's head is free to move in response to the blow, while the football player's skull is held stationary and the brain moves inside the skull upping the concussion likely hood.

I agree that watching Ali as he went down hill was painful to say the least.

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

To get an idea of what type of boxer Camacho was use YouTube and type in Hector Camacho best fight, he was skilled and fast of fist and some of his fist speed has to be watched to be appreciated.

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Suppose some are trying to explain. Say he had many concussions, battled booze/pills...Thinking maybe his disregard for life made him an effective linebacker....Wonder if he was wreckless as a youth. Does previous history show crime or association with criminals?...Or were his concussions a contributing factor. Look at the wrestlers/boxers/NFL/NHL who seem to have gone postal over the years (steroids maybe?)....Maybe it's the pills/booze connection....I worry because I've had 3 concussions. All sport related.

14. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sometimes people are simply broken.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Another case of look the other way because he's a good player?

16. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Another case of everyone that wasn't there or involved should stop speculating on what happened. It's a tragedy and people should stop using it to bandstand (Bob Costas) and form guesses as to why why why?? We'll never know why.

Biak likes this.
  17. texson66

texson66 Ace

The player in question might have been a good football player. But first he is a pure murderer! Secondly, he's a coward by killing himself since he didn't want to do the time. Third, he is no man...he killed his daughter's mother and abandoned her.

No sympathy for him from me. There are way too many of these types of "tragedies" (crimes actually) happening all the time in professional sports.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Initial report of him freaking out because she came home late - 1:30 ish- from a concert seems incorrect. He was out when she came home....He was with a woman at a lounge. Drove her home but passed out in his Bentley, where he was discovered by police. He then went into the woman's apartment and spent about 4 hrs there....Then he went home, where they argued and he ends up shooting her 9 times-in front of his mother- kisses his 3 month old, then heads for the practice field where he eventually shoots himself- with a different gun.....He had 2 notable incidents in his past involving domestic complaints with other women.....He must have been impaired while sleeping in his Bentley...Wonder why police didn't arrest him?

19. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

belasar & luketdrifter said it best. No words or excuses can explain the actions of someone who does these kinds of things.

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I dont know...Its very diffcult to think a rational "normal" thinking person would do something like this...He was obviously disturbed to some degree and by something at the time. People fly off the handle every day of the year...commonly resulting in the females and young in the domocile being assualted...If there was no firearm in the house (as there isnt in my house) he simply could not have shot anyone...a person can run from a knife or baseball bat, but can do nothing againt a pistol. This is about mental trauma (caused by roids and head damage - particularly frontal damage where the "govenor" or final decision for or against words and actions takes place.) And more broadly about the access to deadly weapons in a world where people can and do become unstable in their thinking. I do have sympathy for ALL the people involved...understanding not vilification is the best course for further action....In my opinion, of course : )