Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sports Legends who have Passed

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 14, 2008.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

People need to be held responsible for their actions. Making excuses for their bad behavior only encourages more bad behavior in them and in others.

This is not necessarily the case. I seriously doubt that the victim would have been able to outrun an NFL linebacker regardless of what type of object he was wielding.

Unless you have seen an autopsy report the coroner has not yet produced, this is just speculation.

I think it admirable to want to think the best of people. However, I don't think we do them or society any favors by turning murders into martyrs or victims. Holding folks accountable for their actions is not vilifying them. It is necessary for maintaining order in a society. If someone cannot control themselves, they need to be removed from society. The problem is human behavior, not inanimate objects.

BTW, I fully support your right to express your opinion even if I disagree with you. :D

belasar likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

1. People need to be held responsible for their actions. Making excuses for their bad behavior only encourages more bad behavior in them and in others.

This is a little more than bad behaviour...and im not going to murder someone or kill myself because someonme else did and got away with it...it just doesnt work like that.

2. This is not necessarily the case. I seriously doubt that the victim would have been able to outrun an NFL linebacker regardless of what type of object he was wielding.

Granted its not a certainty, but you must understand my point surely...

3. Unless you have seen an autopsy report the coroner has not yet produced, this is just speculation.

Granted...Pure speculation.

4. think it admirable to want to think the best of people. However, I don't think we do them or society any favors by turning murders into martyrs or victims. Holding folks accountable for their actions is not vilifying them. It is necessary for maintaining order in a society. If someone cannot control themselves, they need to be removed from society. The problem is human behavior, not inanimate objects.

I dont like to think the best of people...the opposite actually : ) Like with Paedophiles there is too much hysteria surrounding the action and its all about the witch hunt instead of trying to understand whats going on...That is the ONLY way to possibly prevent these people forming or perpetrating...one cant study a paedo when they are dead. I want paedophillia whiped out...not just punish them once the deed has been done. The same for this case...this wasnt (we presume) about a drug deal gone wrong or a drunken fight (we presume)...this particular case has the hallmarks of a mental "brain-fart"...if you or i want to prevent this in the future, we need to understand the mental state of the perp....and we need to admit that the presence of a fire-arm was also a contributing factor.

3. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

The thing that is most irritating and frustrating about this whole situation is how people are trying to use it to grandstand against firearms. It's not only wrong but it's downright ignorant. "OHHHHH IF there was no gun this would have never have happened." is complete nonsense. People can outrun an knife or a baseball bat?? Really? It's time to lock this thread because not it's just people throwing out anything they can to argue.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It's too bad the girlfriend didn't have a gun. She'd have had an even chance to blow his head off and avert the tragedy of an innocent person being killed.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thinking folks in the US don't want any conversation regarding gun control...Even talking about events that have gunplay involved makes them nervous...I wish Canada's gun laws hadn't changed. Everyone has a right to feel they are safe...But drugs/booze/love/crazy/crime always seem to get a hold of a pistol....I'd bet that the US will institute some form of control within the next 10-20yrs.....Could the Aurora killer's numbers have been lower if he only had a bat and knife?

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Or a full quiver of arrows? Guns, and pistols in particular, are always touted as the cause of the violence. Taking that line of reasoning one could use the OJ case as a cause to register all knife's. The recent Colorado killing and suicide would constitute a demand for registration of any weapon capable of causing harm to a person including the perpetrator.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Come on people...are we really going to pretend a gun is just another weapon?? I could walk into a crowded room and kill everyone inside with a gun...try that with a knife or bat...everyone dead Vs a few injured...Talk to a Doctor or Paramedic and ask them what weapon kills the most...ask yourself, if you came across a burgler in your home would you rather he carried a knife or pistol? It seems Americans get selectively stupid the moment guns and control are mentioned...If you REALLY want a feeling of protection then spend some money on home security and learn a martial art. I dont want to be accidentally hit in the head while you are "protecting" yourself...

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The Aurora killer used a pump shotgun, which would have been legal to own in Canada. The media ignores that fact because they want to make it about "assault weapons."

In fact though, he opened up with an AR using a cheap Korean drum magazine which immediately malfunctioned. He then dropped it and used a shotgun with buckshot which is what almost everyone was killed with. You can verify that yourself with a google search.

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Can still buy long guns here...Isn't there a law that says shotguns can't hold more than 3 rounds?...Lets say even up to 7 rounds...He'd have to reload, which would give time to subdue?...Now I think about it, were there reports he reloaded shotgun during spree?

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Shotguns can hold up to seven rounds. Each 00 buck shell holds nine pellets. That's a lot of projectiles even without reloading.

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Not sure you can buy shotguns here that will hold 7..Modification would, but it'd be illegal. Thinking 3 is the max allowed. Don't know for sure.

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

This is turning into gun vs anti-gun philosophy. Not near the original post. Unless there is some semblance of a return to sports, I'll either move this to the Stump or close it altogether.

14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The "punch drunk" boxer is an iconic image because people have known for a hundred years that getting hit in the head will damage your brain eventually. The boxers knew it, the public knew it and the sport continues because people will damage their brains if you offer them enough money, and people will pay to see them damage their brains. Football is no different. People get crippled in all contact sports and they know the risk when they sign the contract.

These people make lots of money for the risks they take and this is only a public issue because they are celebrities. Google the "top ten" most dangerous professions some time and you'll note that sports doesn't make the cut. The death rates for fishermen, loggers, electricians - even sanitation workers - are up there in the top ten and the media isn't wringing their hands about their fate because, you know, they aren't rich and famous! The electrician up there changing the light bulbs over the stadium has a far riskier job, gets a lot less money for it and doesn't even rate a mention when he dies doing his job.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

17. 36thID

36thID Member

Stan "The Man" Musial passed away at the age of 92. He served briefly in the US Navy at the end of WW 2.

He was a perfect role model to thousands of us young kids growing up in the St. Louis area. Mr. Musial set the standard of how a professional athlete should conduct himself in public.

Mr. Musial has a very distinct legacy. He is one of the few men that can leave this earth without one person being able to say one negative thing about him.

http://www.baseballinwartime.com/player_biographies/musial_stan.htm

18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

baseball stars has passed, he had a great run and "Stan the Man" was one of the most reliable players in history. He was 92.

From 1941 to 1963 — quite literally, from the very first to the very last — Musial delivered. He played every single game of his storied, 22-year career with the Cardinals. In his first game, on September 17, 1941, the 20-year-old Musial got two base hits in a 3-2 Cards win. In his last game, on September 29, 1963, the 42-year-old Musial got two base hits in a 3-2 Cards win. He was a three-time MVP, and a three-time World Series champ. Finally, and most improbably, of his 3,630 career hits, exactly half came at home, and half on the road.

Goto:
    Stan Musial (1920 - 2012): A Salute to the Man | TIME.com

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I posted his notice in the Sports section, and he was a great player as well as a great human being as well. His kind are rarely seen, then or now.

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Threads merged. Same topic.