Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spotted A Spitfire Today

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Sep 5, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Honest. Was out walking the dog around lunchtime when I heard the unmistakeable roar of a Merlin. Watched it fly over, then five minutes later two Chinooks went in the same direction.
    Heard the Spit again a couple of times in the afternoon, and by this time the local history page on FB was buzzing. Turns out a firm with a two-seater Spit is doing leisure flights from Cumbernauld airport, just North of Glasgow, all week.
    Saw the Spit again around 8PM; came in low from the North then banked and turned over the castle. Turned out the Chinooks landed in the local Army depot.
    Spitfire Flight Experiences from Goodwood Aerodrome, UK

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    KJ Jr, O.M.A., TIRDAD and 3 others like this.
  2. GRW

And here it is in all its glory at Cumbernauld airport (From Scotland from the roadside)

Attached Files:

TIRDAD, Otto and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Looks like a Merlin instead of a Griffin...nice.

4. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Then best spot I had was on Omaha beach while a military group was presenting a rather dull presentation on D Day. We were buzzed by an A26. The presenters didn't even notice this demonstration of allied air power...

I am working with a company to offer tours of WW2 battlefield by air then ground. Fly to Calais or Le Touquet then tour the Luftwaffe side of Dunkirk and the battle of Britain. www.airpowertours.com

GRW and CAC like this.
  6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Wow, Gordon, what a nice happening. I have only heard Merlin's in P-51's, Mozart eat your heart out !!! I have never seen a Spitfire nor Hurricane fly, just on the ground. The Spitfire remains my choice for the most beautiful airplane.....well not the two seater ! I grew up on a farm just across the Alabama river from Craig AFB. It started as a pilot training base in WW2. As a child I saw many B-17's, 25's, 26's and an occasional P-51's flying in for shows but vague memories now.

My wife bought me a ticket to fly in Nine O' Nine, , The Collins B-17, in Oregon many years ago, glorious. Even more so was was spending over an hour stuffed into the back of a Allison engined Y-9 when I was 75. The pilot was reluctant to take me because of health reasons but I said, Jim, if I have a heart attack and die I cannot imagine a better way to go ! It is not a two seater conversion so my head hit the canopy but I had the time of my life, loops, rolls, peel offs flying at 250 knots 50-75 feet over an abandoned air strip. I cannot imagine lining up on an ME 109 to fire, it capable of doing the same moves you can and having to worry about another behind you trying to get you. seemingly impossible 3-dimensional aerobatics . Brave men those and to the Russian Black Witches, brave women..

Thank you most kindly Gordon for bring back such good memories..

Gaines

PS, my introduction to flying was in the back of a WW2 surplus J-2 Piper Cub my dad and his brother bought from a sale at the same Craig AFB. No doors on it !!! A powerful Lycoming engine allowed it to hurl through the sky at 70 -80 or so knots . Our field was a pasture, cows held at bay by a fence, a tin and wood hanger and a windsock . Beats the hell out of an Airbus 310 for feeling the experience of flying..

O.M.A., lwd, GRW and 1 other person like this.
  7. GRW

Great memories, Gaines!
    Three years ago I was lucky enough to see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (well, two Spits and a Lanc) over Stirling at Armed Forces Day, and get some pics. You never forget the sound of a Merlin.
    If you book a flight in that Spit in Cumbernauld, you can elect either a straight sight-seeing trip or acrobatics too.

8. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

lwd, Gordon and CAC, thanks for the likes ! I looked at the Spitfire and P-51 flights 2600 + quid for 30 minutes is pretty dear but then to fly over England and especially the channel and see the Seven Sisters from the air is a huge plus. The Collins Foundation charges 2000 USD for 30 minutes over what ever pant of the US they happen to be, not Battle of Britain country !

9. David.W

David.W Active Member

I had two Spifires fly low over my house a while back. then a few days later, when I was out at work, one of the pilots called round selling aerial photos they had taken of our house from one of the Spitfires! Needless to say, my wife bought one. We now just have to find a nice frame.

GRW likes this.
  10. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I'm hoping to see up to 15 Spitfires flying at the Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show which takes place on 23 and 24 September.

However, as far as I'm aware the whole fleet of Merlin engined aircraft that form part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (which includes the Lancaster, Spitfires and Hurricanes) are still grounded after a fault was found in one of the Hurricanes engines. As a result, we might not see the BBMF at Duxford this year.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    GRW likes this.
  11. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Update on my last post...

A friend was at the Southport Airshow today and told me that the BBMF Lancaster and Spitfire made an appearance there.
    That's good news as it means they will more than likely be at Duxford next weekend.