Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ss helmet

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Pierre, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Pierre

Pierre Member

Hi,I need some advice on this helmet and especially on the chinstrap,I have never seen an other one like this,it bears the ss runes ,and VA mark help me out here

thanks

Attached Files:

C.Evans likes this.
  2. Pierre

Pierre Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im not good enough on these but one thing I did notice is that the drawstring doesnt appear to be as aged as the rest of the leather and such. Only an observation.

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

hi pierre, right! firstly the helmet appears to have been repainted? look around vent, and decal iffy too.. problems? the liner looks to have been given a manufactured distress, the chinstrap buckle give's the Impression of ageing, and is most likely original.. but!!! here is the but? ss chinstraps are more fantasy than rarity, and if original? which is very very very doubtful? as the ss logo is added to enhance interest of sale, if it was original? it would be worth a lot of $$$$$$ ...

http://german-helmets.com//Reproduction%20Chinstraps.htm

5. Pierre

Pierre Member

Thanks ,an expert in german helmets in the U.S (author of many books) told me the following," the helmet has an original C.a pocher decall ,the chinstrap is extremely rare and looks to be original" the helmet was also presented to T.Wittman ,only problem is that they want to see the helmet
    and since I don't live in the U.S it would cost me a lot of money to have the helmet appraised.Some collectors over the pond told me that this helmet is original and that it was coated with ,i can be wrong here but I believe they call it zimmerit, most agreed that it is no combat helmet, at one time a local collector offered me 3750$ for the helmet anyway thanks for your opinions
    The drawstring is a new replacement
    P

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Original maybe but probably repainted. The upper part has been (professionnally ) restored. I don't like the decal too much. The lines are not always parallel on the right side and possible deffects could have been removed by creating artficial scratches right on the rim. I'm not certain this was an SS helmet before the restoration. It is nonetheless a great collector item. The SS on the strap doesn't mean much, it could come from another helmet or have been added. It could also be genuine, so I'd leave it as such.

7. Nick H

Nick H Member

The ss shield is not matching with the Q shell. If repainted it should have the pocher decal. That looks like this. But the fakes these days are very good. I don't think this is original. I would pass

Attached Files:

8. Pierre

Pierre Member

like on all helmets there is always doubt, some say its real some say fake ,I have seen originals with two ss decals ,decals almost upside down ,two decals on top of each other,and handpainted decals,
    any decal was available ,to anyone ,sometimes you can find an original sheet with decals for sale ,I had some contact with experts on the subject ,Europeans and Americans even K.Hicks ,most of them said the helmet is original Mr Hicks said in a personal e-mail that the helmet is not original just because Quist did not use the CA pocher decall on this type of helmet , he claimed tough that it is an original decall,now I read a lot of books on this matter and seen a lot of pics of other helmets,and more than once I came up on storys that many german soldiers applied decals themselfs since it was forbidden to bare party shields after a surtain period of time , so when do you have a fake? is the war time factory helmet a fake just because a german soldier decides to put a decall on his helmet ,personaly I don't think so, and where do you draw the line
    lets say I have this helmet and its 1948 ,I found a decall and placed it on the helmet, is this original helmet with decall a fake ? yes of course it is but how do you see difference,...... I can't ask about the history on the helmet ,since my father and grandfather are long gone, all I know is that it
    has always been in my familys possesion and that there is a connection between the helmet and the luger I own,my mother told me that she first saw this helmet in 1956
    looking for proof of originality can only be determined by the RX fact methode,since it's too expensive to send the helmet to the US ,
    I am still waiting for this service to be offered in Europe ,if anyone can help me with this I thank you
    I added some pics of the decal and interior stamp ,I found this stamp a few days ago and was unaware that it was in the helmet
    look at the interiour of the helmet on the duck site
    http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Steelhelmets/h190.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ukmsales.com/shop/viewphoto.php?shoph=511892&phqu=10 this helmet I found on the net ,looks very,very simular to mine

just want say one more thing ,I am horified by the prices asked for an original SS helmet ,that sort of prices makes it imposibble for the common man to expand his collection with an original item ,and the most seem to follow this trend

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Zimmerit?
    On lids?

My tankish nature says 'tell me more'... is this a known phenomenom?

Cheers,
    Adam.

10. Pierre

Pierre Member

just received an intresting e-mail from Brian Bell www.german- helmets .com ,he told me this is a rare and original SS helmet ,these helmets where given this original war coating by a special depo runed by the SS ,he has seen more helmets like mine ,.Mr Bell sended me a very long e-mail and I thank him for making the effort, too bad I can not make this e-mail public ,I think you would all find it very intresting what the e-mail has to say,anyway I have no doubt on the originality off this helmet anymore,there is a story to this helmet but I never wanted to tell this because you know how it is with stories ,everybody has one