Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SS in the Luftwaffe?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by PzJgr, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Tod

Tod New Member

Interesting you mention '44' as it has what looks like an 'L' With two ''4'' stamps overlapping one another under the receiver.

2. Tod

Tod New Member

Not sure if Photobucket link will work so you can see the still images. If you can check em out and let me know what you think. I'd also like to know particularly what sling the swivel loops are for? Or what country/rifle they are from? Never seen them on another k98, also the upper band has one professionally braised on both are unmarked other than the 623 waffenamt on the top one. (Lower band) But both swivel parts are well made (German quality) yet unmarked. :/ I had a few ideas 1. use for Fallschirmjager modified sling or 2. Foreign country use. 3 simply an extra option to carry the weapon differently than standard K98's. There's a Shrapnel chunk suggesting it seen battle with the band around the wrong way. Both loops did smell of leather before I put my replacement sling on it. heyfunkel's Library

3. harolds

harolds Member

If it's a vet bring-back, I'm curious how an Aussie soldier got hold of it. The only way I can think of is the Ramcke Fallschirm Bn. The Fallschirm being under the LW but the skull & cross bones don't make sense. Austrailian troops were withdrawn before the could encounter SS units. :confused: Well, back to the internet!

4. Tod

Tod New Member

10416644_848690791811051_9079590330165371152_n.jpg
    Yeah it sure is bizarre, but one thing I found out while doing research is that Aussies were part of the Canadian 1st Army that went up against the 12th SS (I think it was the 12th), at one point. It's a shame I wasn't given any info on the family it came from. Would be great to find out who brought it back. But that's the only link I could find of how it got here. The Bloke stays a bit hush hush on where he gets them as I believe he has certain contacts/veterans who have a Goldmine of trophies. I also Scored a mint Bore full matching 1916 Gew98 vet bringback from the same guy, but the family kept the matching Butchers Bayonet. I was on him to let me contact and buy it from them at a high price but as a dealer.. well yeah he pretty much just fobbed me off in a polite way. It even came with the Original sling, but has a duffelbag cut in the stock and vice marks from where it was brought back. The cut is well done though. it even came with original sling! I'm yet to make a vid on that one. That had never even been fired since being brought back! The stock slid apart revealing two dow joints. I had to Glue it together to be able to shoot it. Here's a pic of the bore!