Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SS VT Pioneer ID Disk info needed

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Spencer PK, Dec 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Spencer PK

Spencer PK recruit

Hey all,

I collect a lot of stuff, mostly optics and field gear. But I also buy and sell batches of stuff found by construction crews in and around Germany - a lot of stuff went into the ground through the War, and some of it comes to light during road work and construction projects.

In any case, recently I got a batch of items - binocular parts, buttons, rifle pieces, shrapnel, coins etc. In among everything else I also got an ID disk - only half of it. This item wasn't mentioned by my seller - it was just part of the batch of stuff he threw into the box for me. That's not unusual - he digs and when he has enough stuff to fill a box, I buy it. There are always odd little treasures in there.

Anyway, I cleaned the dog tag off, and here is what is on it: 572 3./SS-Pi stamped on the front, and SS-VERFUGUNGSTRUPPE on the back, cast in when it was a blank.

I've attached three photos - the third one I've boosted the contrast on to show the text on the back.

It is has a heavy patina and is corroded - typical ground dug item. It is made of steel or zinc - not aluminum.

Anyone ever seen one of these before? "Pi" stands for Pioneer perhaps? I'm also concerned now that the seller is not in fact just selling me things he found during construction work - this is the top half of a disk - the part that normally stays with the body. Other items he's sold me include wristwatches, buttons, medals. Is there any way to find out who this soldier was? Any unit history on this unit? Anyone know which unit it was and what actions they might have been in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

welcome spencer,if you have no luck,try www.wehrmacht-awards you will need to register,but your best option is here,hope this helps,ray..

3. Spencer PK

Spencer PK recruit

Thanks Ray - I'm a member there already but mostly for their optics forum. I'll post this there and see what I find - I'll post any information here.

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

you'll not be disappointed,as I have posted a german dogtag their myself,good guys, great replys too,tray..:)