Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SS Wiking: The history of the 5th SS Division 1941-45.

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by C.Evans, Oct 19, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This book is by Rupert Butler, and looks like the fifth installment of hopefully a complete series on all Waffen SS Divisions. I havent seen a copy of a third (Totenkopf) or a fourth (Polizei) installment printed yet--but doesnt mean it hasnt been done yet.

The book is VERY well done--if im not believed--well you will just be missing out on a great book. This is done in the same format as the first two I listed here--LSSAH and Das Reich. [​IMG]

2. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Carl can you see if the company that does these has some sort of web site. It would be nice to see what these books look like so i know what i'm looking for, and maybe i can order them direct.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Bish--I have my copy od "Wiking" with me but, I dont see a website listed. However, there is an email address, which is: casemate@casematepublishing.com

I believe that I had stumbled accross a site that might have had them pictured in it--Ill see if I can find it again.

Also--check out Schiffers website--they have a most excellent selection of books for sale. The website is: www.schifferbooks.com

This edition is $29.95. The
    ISBN is: 1-932033-04-1

Let me see if I can come up with something for you--if or if not--ill let you know.

4. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Thanks Carl. I may just drop them a line and see if they can give me the UK distributor.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well, the link works but, it doesnt show anything on the three books on the Waffen SS Divisions ive listed here--frustrating to say the least.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry Bish--the darn book doesnt have anything in it about a British Distributor, but I'll bet that you can get it through www.helion.com

or www.helion-books.com I know one of these links works--and these people are in England. :D

Rats--neither link works. I know that Otto recently found the web address for me recently, but I cant remember in which topic it was posted.

[ 19 October 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

8. AndyW

AndyW Member

Best info on all Waffen-SS units with all her leaders and names is Kurt Mehner: Die Waffen-SS und Polizei 1939-1945" if you're interested in organizational history it's a fair buy if you're interested in questions like: "Who was the IIa of the 8th SS-Kavallerie-Division "Florian Geyer" during Oct.43 until June 44? A: SS-Hauptsturmführer Erich Finder!

Cheers,

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Thanks, Carl! That sounds like a MUST book to buy for WSS ignorants like me! ;)

10. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

For those who are interested in The "Wiking" Div i can also recommend the following;

Panzergrenadiere, der Panzer Div Wiking im Bild and Verweht sind die Spuren,SS Panzer Rgt 5 im bild.

Both are excellent photo histories put together by the Vet Associations of the Westland Regt and SS Panzer Rgt 5.

Paul [​IMG]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Peter Strassners book on the 5th SS is a classice.
    Verweht sind die Spuren is an excellent account of the Panthers of the Pz. Regiment though sadly lacking on documentation/pic of the Pz. IV's from 1944 till may of 45. I wonder what happened here ?

E

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

thank you Andy--and do you know where I can get a copy at?

Thank you as well Paul, Erich and Friedrich. :cool: