Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

St. Angelo and HMS Lookout

Discussion in 'Naval War in the Mediterrean, Malta & Crete' started by vianalky, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vianalky

vianalky Member

Help please.
    Looking at my fathers naval doc's (S-459) i find that he was on St. Angelo (Lookout). From the header of the column it reads "Name of Ship. (Tenders to be inserted in brackets)", he was then on Drake iv (Lookout). I have found out that Lookout was a destroyer G32, involved in a conflict in March 1945, from Malta Times April 3rd 1945.
    I'm trying to find what St. Angelo was?
    also
    Was "Drake/Drake iv the HMS Drake (barracks) in Devonport?
    The reason i ask this i have seen on Wikipedia :-
    quote.
    During 1919, HMS Marshal Ney was used as a base ship at Queensborough, before being disarmed and becoming a depot ship at Fort Blockhouse from 1920. Renamed HMS Vivid in June, 1922, she then served as a stoker training ship until 1957. She was again renamed HMS Drake in January 1934, and HMS Alaunia II in 1947. She arrived at the Ward shipyards at Milford Haven on 6 October 1957 for breaking up.
    Unquote.
    Can anyone out there help with my research?

Attached Files:

2. vianalky

vianalky Member

More research, i'm "Assuming" that St. Angelo is the Velletta fort Malta.
    Or if anyone can say i'm miles away.
    Looking at Lookout sailing from HMS Drake October 1944 to Malta 31st October 1944 and stationed there until 30th Sept 1945 and then back to Drake October 1945.

Does anyone know if there are "War Diary's" for the Royal Navy similar to the Army?
    And if so how i can get hold of them?
    Regards. Alan

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

4. drogon

drogon Member

I too thought it was rather the fort St angelo....and it seems I was right.
    In fact the Royal Navy maintained a depot ship in Malta, usually a decommissioned ship moored close to the fort.
    Seems it moved ashore in the thirties, and in fact was moved to the fort itself and thus the Admiralty listed the fort as a ship.
    Another source mentions the fort was originally named HMS Egremont around 1912 and later renamed HMS St Angelo, but the result is the same.

Hope it helps

5. smudge729

smudge729 New Member

Hi Alan, don't know if you are still an active member but I think I may be able to help out a little. I have also recently been looking at my fathers service record (S-459) and he also has an entry for St Angelo but in brackets Loyal. This is reference to HMS Loyal which was a sister ship to HMS Lookout. Both were 'L' class destroyers deployed for support and convoy defence in continuation. I managed to find a fascinating account of life on board HMS Lightning written by George Gilroy, a 21 year old seaman who gave his version of what happened on 12 March 1943 when it was struck by a torpedo during an 'E' boat attack. The ship subsequently sunk and many of the crew were picked up by HMS Loyal