Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stahlhelm help

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by WarEnthusiast, Jun 3, 2016.

1. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

So I got myself an original Stahlhelm for around €65 ( around $74 if you're an American) but I think something is wrong with it. It has this weird brownish colour, nothing like what you see in a regular grayish Stahlhelm and it has some scratches that reveal some red-looking colour. The ventilation holes are also covered up by chrome-textured metal pieces.

I couldn't get more pictures because it only allows me to upload two of the photos but here is the Stahlhelm:

View attachment 24402

View attachment 24404

Attached Files:

2. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Why don't you post a picture of your Stahlhelm so some of our members who could help you can know for sure?

3. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

Just did, thanks for the advice.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Skipper will be along shortly, and he is probably the person to get to the bottom of this stahlhelm question for you.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

The "chrome pieces in the vent holes" are what is holding the liner in, looks like a few are missing. You can actually buy reproduction and original liner fasteners on e-bay. The chinstrap looks reproduction as well. The color is way off.

My best guess is that it is a post war manufacture / refurbished helmet used by any number of countries who used that style post WW2.

The bright spot is that you have a blank canvas to make the helmet you want; you can buy everything you need to make a reproduction helmet which would be great for display. You also aren't out a lot of money. You could expect to pay $200-$300+ (USD) for an original helmet with liner and chinstrap in that condition.

*****DISCLAIMER*******

Skipper and Kai are the resident experts on German lids and I will defer to their opinions.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

At first I was thinking maybe the helmet was a Spanish version, supplied by the Germans prior to the surrender. Not to the Division Azule on the Eastern Front, but sent directly to Spain. That was just an S.W.A.G. (safisticated wild ass'd guess) on my part of couse.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I would need to see the inside for a further opinion. The rivets are repros (or post war use at least) . As to the shell , it could be a repainted one for the Norwegians who used these helmets after the war. If it's an original refurbished shell , then there should be a German manufacturer number engrvaed on it (Usually, inside on the rim on the right side) There could also be a serial number inside (on the back ). If not you may well have a repro shell. Compare it to one you have no doubt about, and compare weight . (repros are usually bad quality steel and a lot lighter) . It's not a Spanish one (they had a hole in the front for the insignia) . I see you are from Finland: the finns recycled some Germna helmets too and repainted them, but until Isee the inside it will be hard to distinguish that.

8. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

I bought it from a guy in Finland so it could very well be a Norwegian or Finnish version. I'm pretty sure the shell itself isn't a repro as it smells quite old and almost a little moldy, it probably was repainted back sometime.

I am not that good with helmets and is unsure on how to remove the liner successfully but I can tell you that there is no serial number or any type of markings. The leather is an obvious repro though. Here's a bad picture of the inside if it helps.

View attachment 24411

Attached Files:

9. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

I'm thinking about repainting it and renew it to a fresh good looking Stahlhelm. Thanks!

10. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

I would be very suprised if it turned out to be a Spanish version!

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The liner is a modern fireman helmet one. This explains the chrome rivets which were probably also taken from this helmet. Same for the chin strap I'm afraid. Fireman liners can be recognized by the multiple little holes and the fact they have ten dragon teeth flaps instead of eight So I'm afraid your helmet is 100% repro or reconditionned if the shell is repainted, but I fear it's a modern made one for re-enactors. Did you check for markings or weight?

Otto likes this.
  12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The additional little hole which can be seen just below and to the left of the ventilation hole points to this helmet being post-war Finnish manufacture.....

Otto and formerjughead like this.
  13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes I mentioned this lead earlier in my first post when I saw the helmet is in Finland. This could mean it's so the re-enactor helmet with modern liner makes sense.

14. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Sorry Skipper - I hadn't noticed.... :salute:

Yes, the holes are a good indicator. Really, the 'value' of German helmets has increased considerably over the last few years and now we see Spanish, Norwegian, 1950s German etc helmets being mis-identified as original WWII. As always, the answer is to research carefully before buying.......

15. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

Being new to Stahlhelms I could've gotten scammed easily I realize. But as the price was very low I think it was worth it as I've seen helmets for over $150.

Otto likes this.
  16. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

I know that Finns had a bunch of German helmets after the war and many of them were repainted so the Finnish soldiers wouldn't look like German soldiers. I am gonna guess that this is the case. I really want to get rid of the fireman liner. From what I've heard real helmets weigh around 2.2 lbs to 3.3 lbs. The one I have was 3.3 lbs.

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

18. WarEnthusiast

WarEnthusiast Member

I wasn't able to find any markings, I guess they are hidden under the paint.