Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stalag Luft 6 101 Squadron Lancaster

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by french47, Oct 8, 2008.

1. french47

french47 Member

Hi To all,
    Some help please, I am doing research on a chap who was shot down in 1944, He was flying in a ABC Lancaster from 101 squadron, After his capture he was placed in L6/357.
    I know L6 is Stalag luft 6 at Heydekrug Lithuania, My question is what does the numbers 357 stand for?

Cheers

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome on the forum. I'm not sure but I believe most Lagers had several extensions

There were several L6 lagers and the three letter code told which section if dealt with. Airmen were usually sent to specific lagers according to their rank, nationality and/or behaviour (there were disciplinary camps for evaders ec..)

3. David Layne

David Layne Member

With the Russian advance from the east Stalag Luft 6 at Heydekrug was evacuated in June of 1944. The prisoners were moved to Stalag 357 at Thorn until August of 1944 and were then moved to Stalag 357 at Fallingbostel.

My father was one of these prisoners and the attachments are taken from his P.O.W. "Wartime Log."

Attached Files:

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

David -- I am really interested in your father's log. Did he keep the log during his period of captivity? If so, did he keep it in secret or was that something that was allowed?

5. David Layne

David Layne Member

My father was in the R.A.F. The "Wartime Log" was issued to the prisoners by the Red Cross with full knowledge of the German authorities. In my father's case it is full of sketches, poems, addresses etc. Attached are a couple more examples from it.

Attached Files:

6. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

David -- Many thanks for the scan. I have never seen the poem in your father's journal before. Is that original? If so, it really deserves broader publication. It carries a lot of meaning and emotion. Thanks again for sharing!

7. David Layne

David Layne Member

I'm not sure who wrote the poem, it's in my father's hand but I don't think he compsed it.

Couple more for you.

Attached Files: