Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stalingrad M40

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by QOTD, Sep 30, 2011.

1. QOTD

QOTD Member

This is my latest relic, M40 with early aluminium band from Stalingrad. I love these relics and this is my third, I use a odourless and clourless fish oil on these, a few light layers and it sets it hard as a rock, it does darken the helmet a bit, but it is better than using a coloured rust guard, still retians its relic look, I first tried it on a relic M35, and it hasnt deteriorated in 2 years, its almost like a laquer layer that seals the helmet, stabilises it and draws out any remaining moisture.....I love my relics, such stories they could tell View attachment 14440

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice relic. I use transparent shoe polish. It stops the rust and restores the surviving paint (if any left)

3. QOTD

QOTD Member

Shoe polish is s new one to me, are you talking about a dubbin type leather polish? How do you find it keeps the metal from further deteriorating??? I find the fish oil brings out some of the re sing paint as well.

On this particular one I reckon if I rubbed it most of the remising heavier layers and possible paint would just come away, at least with the spray I get the paint remaining without touching it too much!!!!

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

5. QOTD

QOTD Member

I have heard of that type of wax, thanks....I think my main aim with these really flaky fragile relics it to stabilize them and toughen them up. They won't gain or loose any value, and they still retsin whatever was on them. Is that kinda wax used on more complete helmets and equipment???

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Both, as it sets completely Dry, and is 100% neutral so it can be used to stabilise as well as preserve, as long as the item it's applied to is dry in the first place.
    Using oils or waxes that aren't specifically designed for this sort of stuff is a tad dodgy, as you really don't know what's in 'em, or what the long term effects might be.
    More concerning might be whether you can ever get 'em off if some trouble does show itself.

Obviously, you might always get pockets of corrosion hiding out beneath the surface getting worse, but that's true with any other treatment - at least Renaissance wax is proven to do no harm while protecting from further dust/handling damage. Comes off with a bit of alcohol, or soapy water.

Same as anything applied to anything precious I suppose. If you got some, maybe try on a discrete area and see what you think.

~A

7. QOTD

QOTD Member

I have a relic M35 thst I used the fish oil on 2 years ago, and it is rock solid and has held up very well, I will try to get a hold of thst wax, give it a go....cheers

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Shoe polish is in fact partly made with wax, except that it doesn't shine so much if you prefer keeping the matt aspect. I appreciate it because you can pick several colours, including kaki , black, brown, navy bleu etc.... so it's perfect for renovating partly painted helmets without painting over the original paint. A big advantage is that if don't want it anymore, you can remove it and restore the relic in it's former condition.
    If you want to see a few samples just go on the Adrain helmets thread. Some were totally rusted before I could revive the surviving paint.

I also appreciate using graphite cream . This gives rust iron a greyish metalic tint and renovates old iron like nothing else.

9. QOTD

QOTD Member

I like the fact that the shoe polish is a Matt finish. On my M35 I used a Matt lawyer as a final coat, but will try the boot polish on this one. It's not so much I want to improve the relic, I really just want to stabilize it......so I am not real fussed about wanting to remove it. This one is so fragile if I I hit with water I reckon it would dissolve!!!!

10. QOTD

QOTD Member

After much looking and discussion with my good mate, we believe this helmet may be a M35, given that one of the vent holes is completely missing, appears to have fallen out, suggesting it may not have the stamped vent holes of an M40, the other vent hole is still in situ, but heavily corroded, also the remains of the liner band, which is aluminum would suggest an M35.... Just our speculation

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Nice relic.....as an aside, I have a 'rough' Bulge relic M40 which I've had for years. I thoroughly rubbed it down with Renaissance Wax when I got it, and have 'topped it up' a couple of times since. It has held together very well........

12. QOTD

QOTD Member

I've had great success with fish oil, but gotta give this wax a go....even go over the fish oil once it's dried, my next relic will be a wax experiment