Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Standard GI loadings for US WWII Ammunition

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Terry D, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

Here I am with another ammunition question. I am looking for reliable data on military contract ammunition for standard US small arms in WWII and the Korean War, especially for .45 ACP, .30 carbine, .30-06, and 12-gauge shotgun shells and slugs. Much information is available on the net and in published works, but all of these rounds have been made in many variations over the years and many reference works and websites fail to distinguish between wartime military ammo loadings (which is what I want), postwar military loads, commercial loads, and modern versions of these cartridges. I am writing about this stuff (drawing up a data table) and I want to be as accurate as I can. If anyone can help me find contemporary data I will be very grateful. Thanks.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

3. 09cs

09cs Member

I believe the standard military load for 30-06 for the Garand was 47 grains of IMR 4895, with a 150 grain bullet

4. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

just from hazy memory, both the garand and the springfield were proofed at 55,000 psi while standard GI ball loads were kept at 45,000 psi.