Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stanley Halldin, 981st Field Artillery Battalion

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Halldin, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Halldin

Halldin Member

I came back from a family reunion and my grandfather Per told me that his uncle served in the US Army and fought in Okinawa. I had no idea my grandfathers uncle was a WW2 Vet. and of course I wanted to find out more about this uncle of his.
    This is how far I've gotten:
    Name: Sten (Hjalmar) Halldin
    Born: 16th January, 1905 in Umeå, Sweden.
    Died: 14th May, 1965 in New Jersey, USA.
    Enlisted: 23rd December, 1942 in Newark, New Jersey.

He took a boat from Sweden to New York in the 1930's, (I'm not sure which year it was) with an American show dancer.

All I know beyond that is that he served in the army and fought in the battle of Okinawa during the WW2 and died alone with no wife or children in 1965.

I wonder if it's possible to contact some agency or organization to find out something about Sten, which unit he served in or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

/ Erik Halldin. Stockholm, Sweden.

2. Halldin

Halldin Member

3. Halldin

Halldin Member

4. Halldin

Halldin Member

Seems like the embassy don't want to help me. A long time has passed and I have not received an answer yet. Is there some other place to turn to get help? I really want to know what my relative went through.

5. ProudPapa

ProudPapa Member

Halldin, three items that may be of help:

1) Accoding to your earlier post, your great-uncle served in the US Army which did see service on Okinawa. Hopeully you can direct your request for his service record appropriately

2) I have a membership on Ancestry.com. I did a search and and found a crew manifest for a ship named "Kungsholm" arriving the port of New York on 8 September 1936. It shows a Tor Sten Aurthur Halldin with approximate birth year of 1905. The port of departure is assumed to be Gotheburg Sweden. It lists him as part of the ship's crew, having engaged in service aboard the ship on 6 December 1935. His position is listed as "Assistant Postal Official"

3) With regards to the "American dancer" you noted (and I'm assuming you mean female), there is a passenger manifest with numerous Americans oboard. But the same crew manifest also lists a single female American crew member for the same voyage: Hevig Wolff. It lists her position as "Assistant Barber"

Good luck!!

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This threa dis getting interesting. I hope Halldin will find more!

Thanks for this information ProudPapa. Tihs is cool for a first post. If you wish you may go to the new member section and introduce yourself there. Welcome.

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Interesting stuff, hope you have more luck!

8. Halldin

Halldin Member

Wow, this is great info, but neither me or my father are sure about one thing: The name Tor and Aurthur makes me think it's not him. His middlename was Hjalmar. My dad thought it was a mix up with his brother Torsten Halldin (Tor+Sten, get it?), who also went to New York, but he returned to Sweden. Aurthur does not ring a bell. The other info seemed like it would be matching, but the name isn't.

I mailed archives.org and they seem to be able to help me, I answered and now I only need an answer before I send in the 180 form!

9. Halldin

Halldin Member

Hell yes! I got all the info I need, tomorrow I'm gonna fill in the 180 form and run down to the post office to get like a thousand stamps to get the mail from Stockholm to the US. I can't wait to get the records back! :D

10. ProudPapa

ProudPapa Member

Keep us posted Erik. I love to hear how these stories turn out.

11. texson66

texson66 Ace

Hell och motgång! Från en Texas Svensk, Hilmer!

12. Halldin

Halldin Member

I wish I could update you guys with something, but for now, I'm just waiting for that letter to come. Hold on!

13. Halldin

Halldin Member

[​IMG]

:(:(:(

Well I'm gonna pay the 15 bucks to get the Final Pay Vouchers and then I will find out in what unit he served and maybe where. At least it's something.

Edit: Ah, my name and address, well if you come to Sweden you know where to find me.

14. Halldin

Halldin Member

Well I posted the letter with the request for the Final Pay Vouchers last week and I can't wait to get back the info! :D

15. Halldin

Halldin Member

I really need your help with this one!

So I got my papers back from the states! :D
    This is what it said:

[​IMG]

So he was a Private at the HQ for the 981st Field Artillery Battalion, that's pretty much of what I understand, the rest is kinda half-guess for me. So I would really, really, REALLY appreciate if someone could clear that up for me.

Wikipedia says that company C, 981st FA Bn was attached with the 9th Infantry Div. which seemed to have served pretty much everywhere.

So if somebody could clear up allt the "AD"s, "ERC" and so on, I would be really happy. :)

/Erik Halldin

Edit: And oh. If anyone is sitting on information regarding the 981st, please share!

16. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Transferred to ERC and Reld from AD per WD

Transferred to Enlistment Reseve Corps and relieved from Active Duty per [the] War Department.

He was released from active service for some reason. Was he badly injured or sick, or did his family have an exceptional hardship? Looks like he was released to work in an essential occupation. What did he do when he got home?

17. Halldin

Halldin Member

Thank you very much!
    The National Archives says:
    CIVILIAN OCCUPATION: Farm hands, fruit.
    Besides me, I don't think anybody really cared about his service and there was not much contact with him. Got some good advice from the guys I mailed over at NARA how to do more research of his personal life, might try that.

It says on the pay voucher:
    REASON: Transfered to Enlistment Reseve Corps and relieved from Active Duty per [the] War Department. And then:
    Cir 92/43, at own req (request I guess) to acc empl in an essen ind, incl agricl. 5th Ind, Hq 76th Brigade 30 June/43.

Which means he filed a request to be transferred? What does the bold words mean?

18. Slipdigit

acc empl in an essen ind, incl agricl

I think it means "to accept employment in an essential industry, including agriculture."

19. Halldin

Halldin Member

Seems right. Thanks again. :)
    Two more things, why is the word Enlisted crossed over and the word Inducted or Induction put above? I don't know what the word induction mean in military terms.
    And what does the (SS) above company and rank mean?

I guess my mission now is to find out what the 981st did between 1st of January and the 23rd of July, 1943.

20. Slipdigit

Inducted. I would think it means he was drafted. Don't have a clue what the SS is for.