Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Star Wars Episode III

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Boba Nette, May 11, 2005.

1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Is anyone else just itching to see this movie?From what I've see and heard,it looks like it is going to be awesome.The lightsaber battles are said to be phenomenal.Anyone care to comment?

2. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've seen the webdocs and it looks great. There are 17 on emule under webdoc and they show the film in production, the sets, the characters and music etc.

Also been watching the Clone Wars cartoons, there are 25, which fill the gap between the 2nd and 3rd movie,.

I'm drooling just thinking about this film

FNG

3. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ofcourse its gonna be a very cool movie, but its not cool to know all the characters before seeing the movie :lol:

4. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Me, I'm sceptical.
    Episode I was dreadful.
    Episode II was better - but that does not say much.

The reviews I have seen for Episode III all say either 'fantastic effects' or 'awful plot/acting'...

Sadly, it seems to be going the way of all fims now, where Special Effects matter more than a decent storyline. 'Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow' is prehaps the pinnace of this (don't go see that film - unless you want a good laugh or feel the urge to complain about something).

Mind you, I will still go and see Star Wars III. :grin:
    Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

5. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What are you talking about?

Episode 1: Was great!
    Episode 2: Was great!
    Episode 4,5 and 6 where great!

Star Wars has about the best story-line I have ever seen, especially because Episode 1,2 and 3 are at the time before 4,5 and 6!

Great, all I can say is ... You got no taste...

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The storyline of Star Wars movies is generally pretty good. In my opinion, that's truly the only thing they have going for them. Acting in all of them is dreadful, special effects are rarely convincing even in the new series, and the characters are flat as stamps. Just my opinion though, and we're all entitled to one. :grin:

Re: Sky Captain, I haven't seen it yet but sometimes I consider seeing a movie just for its cast, and said movie seems to have been shopping at Harrods/KDW.

7. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Special effects are rarely convincing?Roel,did we see the same movie?EPI and EPII were awesome as far as SPFX.The first three pale in comparison but were well beyond state of the art for their time.I can't complain about acting.My personal favorite is the Emperor.He's such an evil bastard.Thoroughly entertaining.

8. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    SturmTiger, you and my wife would get along fabulously! Palpatine is her favorite character, and she really admires Ian MacDiarmid, the actor who plays him.

As for your points, Roel, the SFX are, and have always been, the best available when they were made. George Lucas did do some revamping on the original trilogy's effects in 1997 to take advantage of the new technologies that had become available, which, IMHO, did improve the movies quite a bit. As for the acting, while some of the performances have been disappointing, I don't think that, if your blanket statement condemning them all were true, the films would have been as successful as they have been. And some of the problems you attribute to the actors can actually be traced back to the scripts and the director, which is George Lucas in four of the six movies. He's a brilliant visual artist, likely enough the greatest one we have ever seen, but he is *not* the best director in Hollywood. Lucas also wrote the screenplays for four of the folms and had a hand in writing the other two as well, and he is also not the best screenwriter in Hollywood, either.

9. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Please, do not get me wrong, Episodes IV, V & VI were fantastic.

But I & II had bad scripting, bad characters, a bad script...
    And they were far too 'modern action film' to be good prequals - the very style of the films is totally different.
    The only possible saving grace was Yoda lightsabre-fighting. I have not laughed so much in years...

10. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Down with Star Wars.......

.......up with Star Trek.

:smok: :kill: :D :smok: :kill: :D

11. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I heard it was great , a lot better than episodes 1 and 2 combined ,

12. David.W

David.W Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Star Bores.

Apart from the first film (4th). The others have been very mediocre. The most recent two, I have not bothered with, as all but the most die hard fans I have spoken to said that they were dire.

Each to his own. I can't deny that they have been epically popular for nearly 30 years.

13. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I love'em both.Did you ever see the documentary film 'Trekkies'?Quite embarassing at times for Trek fans.

14. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Some Star Trek diehards may be mildly insulted by this. Most others will probably find it funny. Can't say I didn't warn you. :grin:
    http://www.milkandcookies.com/stuff/triumphvsw.asx

I too can't deny that the movies were and still are popular - I just don't really understand why. I guess I'm being too skeptical, or it might be because SF movies are never what I'd like them to be. I stand by my statement that the acting especially in IV, V and VI was terrible - by far the worst performance Harrison Ford has ever delivered, for example.

15. David.W

David.W Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh I don't know. He was pretty lame in "What lies beneath"

& then there was his famous growl. "Get OFF my plane" in "Airforce 1"

For all that, I like most of his films. "Indiana Jones", "Fugitive", "Presumed innocent". etc etc.

P.s if you think the acting in IV, V, & VI was bad, check out the marksmanship of the Imperial Stormtroopers. Talk about "couldn't hit a barn door if they were stood in front of it". Quite, quite terrible.

16. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That too. :D

Air Force One, one watches it because of Gary Oldman, not Harrison Ford.

I just watched Episode II yesterday and found it quite entertaining, although as usual for Star Wars movies the acting was terrible, the movie didn't actually end, and the special effects weren't convincing (did anyone else spot Anakin walking straight through a 'steel door'). And there were some very annoying characters in it, such as Anakin Skywalker. :angry:

At least I didn't yawn and wish it was over, like I did watching Episodes I, IV, V and VI.

17. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    Roel the first few minutes of that link you provided are hilarious! And the rest isn't bad.

18. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A lot of people had issues with Anakin.Where did he walk through a steel door.I gotta see this.

19. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    He was entering the hallway that led to the droid factory. You can see both Anakin and Padme hunching over to fit under the "doorway", but because the guy playing Anakin is so much taller than Portman, she fits through just fine but he would have banged his head against the door if it had actually been there.

20. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks,I gotta check that out.