Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Star Wars Episode III

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Boba Nette, May 11, 2005.

1. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I agree with that statement. The story cannot be too bad since it is an amalgamation of several plot lines from classic literature and more recently from films, like Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and Hidden Fortress.

2. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I find it difficult to believe that someone could say there weren't enough human casualties in Star Wars.Think how many people bought the farm when each Death Star exploded.The second one wasn't even finished!Do you think a bunch of Storm Troopers were building it?Hell no!The Empire would have had to hire millions of private contractors to do the job.Some poor slob shows up to install a few turbo lasers and BAZAMMO!He's pushing up daisies!

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That was me and what I was refering to solely was Episode I in which the whole issue largely of the actual combats is sanitised by the use of droids instead of humanoid life-forms, even in the battle at the end relatively few of the Gun-gans (Sp?) are slain compared to the relatively large numbers of battle droids. The Mother-ship of the Trade Federation appears appart from a handful of Bridge staff to be crewed by driods.

A handful of Naboo pilots are slain, a bigger handful of Gun-gans were killed, but the vast majority of the "Casualties" are droids.

My criticism plain and simple was that this was Star Wars - the Politically Correct version in which the battles were fought with very few deaths of living beings. As I have said repeatedly, safe, sanitized and dull.

Who cares about the deaths of the droid armies when they have all the personality and compassion of toaster?

The same cannot be said of the rest of the Star Wars series, I have not finished watching Episode II yet and will likely have to wait for Episode III to be out on DVD before I have a chance to watch that, but as pointed out the Stormtroopers, the Jawas, Ewoks, Star Destroyer Crews, Death Star crews, Rebel Troopers, pilots and naval personel and Tie fighter pilots all suffer killed and wounded. At the risk of repition - this was not what I was making my observation about, I was refering just to Episode I The Phantom Menace!!!

4. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Talk all the smack ya want about toasters buddy!Until ya want some toast! :lol:

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry, I prefer my bread raw! :D

6. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What an animal!You must have hot chicks lining up for blocks to get a date with you! :cool:

7. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    The Talkie Toaster(TM) in Red Dwarf had a personaility, admittdely one that you wanted to trash but a personality all the same.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Are we the talking Series I or Series III version here? Both very annoying but in slightly different ways... ;)

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If only it were true, but no :( , besides my dearly beloved would kill me and them! :lol:

10. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't believe it for a minute.You probably gotta beat 'em back with a stick.You got my vote for forum stud!

Women love you!

Toasters fear you.

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I can't believe we've hijacked a Star Wars thread to discuss my love life and toasters! :lol: I know we usually go of topic on this forum but even so.....

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was struck by the fact that the seemingly retarded Gungan culture somehow did have energy shields to protect them from amassed droid fire (as well as shooting some advanced energy bombs with catapults), and that the battle took place on a nice green pasture on a sunny day. In short, that they weren't going to die anyway, and if they accidentally did, they'd die nicely and quietly. Very clean and PI indeed. I never really thought about it that way but you're right, it's sort of bad.

What's a topic? :lol:

13. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well toasters these days are high-tech like Star Wars, and Anakin got toasted in Episode III.So.....if you stretch the imagination just a bit......yeah,it fits!

14. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Series III I think where the talkie Toaster(TM) had the unfortunate accident with the baseball bat and the waste disposal unit.

:smok:

15. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, that was wierd - high-tech enegry shields, and energy balls that can defeat any Robot AFV, but delivered by a catapult made of badly-finished bits of tree. :-?

16. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Speaking of incongruities I thought it odd to see the presumably energy fueled cannons ejecting shell casings from the rear..(on the ship that Anakin crashed on some planet). Of course Lucas ignores physics throughout..people and objects aren't weightless...the little attack bots that landed on the wing of Obi Wan and Anakins ship..when R2D2 killed on of them he was "blown" off the "wing" of the space vehicle.

17. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well hey. There's no sound in space. Time to remake all SF movies ever made.

18. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Roel wrote:
    Except perhaps 2001 a Space Odyssey.

19. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ive just been to see episode 3 with my 7yr old son this evening...i been to see all six and saw episode 4 when it was just plain old star wars when i was 8 in 1977!

i really liked this one and would rank it up with the empire strikes back as being action packed and entertaining.

my least fav is the phantom menance which is pretty humdrum and souless....but this is really good!!

20. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have now seen Episode 3 and consider it the best, by far, of the prequel trilogy. It does not quite measure up to the original trilogy (save in special effects, of course), but it's definitely a nice finale to the Star Wars saga. :D