Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Starship Troopers -- Nazi Connections?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by r2b2ct, Nov 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. r2b2ct

r2b2ct New Member

via War44
    Hello

I've seen Starship Troopers several times. Each time I seem to find more connections between the humans and the Nazi's. Here are a few I noticed:

- The main characters of the story are from Argentina. The Nazi's had a lot of connections with Argentina and still today there is number of former Nazi's living there.
    - The plot seems to give an overly militaristic emphasis on the threat.
    - The main character is German (who's character lives in Argentina) - Casper Van Dreisen
    - Their uniforms are characteristic of Nazi uniforms (best example I could find on short notice):
    [​IMG]
    - There is a distinct emphasis on human superiority over the bug threat, with implications here and there that the bugs are in fact superior to the humans, which can be related to Nazi ideology of Aryan supremacy over their "threats".

I'm sure there's more but those are what came to me off the top of my head. I'll post more if them come to me.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Was there some intention of mimicing the Nazi's with this movie?

2. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Interesting post r2b2ct, i am unable to comment on this as i have not seen the said film but sure does sound uncanny.. :eek:i:

3. 10cents

10cents New Member

via War44
    Hi!

Well, I've seen the movie and it never occurred to me there's a Nazi connection except for the uniforms. And it was supposed to be patterned after some German uniform. I have to confess though that my focus was on the lead actress all through out, Denise Richards. :D

Although in the book version, Casper was supposedly a Filipino soldier, Juan or Johnny Rico. It's an award-winning novel too.

Starship Troopers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Interesting from the wikipedia link to learn that author Heinlein was a rabid anti communist....:ponder:

Verhoeven made a great War Film I think, for a glorifying one anyway, but plays cheekily with the ideolgy and fast and loose with the imagery.

5. paperclip

paperclip New Member

via War44
    I never looked into it but the uniforms did seem quite Nazi oriented, and their attitude towards teh bugs as well. I do remember the bugs attacked first though, so there's a difference there.

6. 10cents

10cents New Member

via War44
    He, he, the movie was actually kind of sick. Young people feed to the bugs for the privilege of citizenship. I wonder if those born citizens were also given the chance to be dismembered, disemboweled, and burned by the bugs. :D

I don´t like war movies that portrays mass killing as a kind of game. Saving Private Ryanś first scene, on the beach, was more like it. Bullets kill, in reality.

7. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Fair point, good point !
    :happy:

8. Gecko

Gecko New Member

via War44
    When I first saw the movie I also thought about the resemblence with Nazi Germany, but mainly due to the uniforms and the Gestapo intelligence.

But it also draws on other authorian societies as well, like Romans where you would gain citizenship and land by serving the legions....

But it is a great indepth analysis done by the first poster.... Great job