Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Strategical maps of Monte Cassino

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by Gebirgsjaeger, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hello everybody,

i´m looking since a long time for some maps where the positions of the German 1.Fallschirmjäger-Divison are in. And especially i´m looking for maps which do have the positions down to Regimental or better down to a companies level.
    I would be glad, if anybody own such a map and is willing to share, or has a advice where to get it!

Thank you in advance!

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ulrich it came to mind former senior Offizier may have a few in his long out of print title that he did on his service:

Major Rudolf Böhmler formerly of I./Fallschirm Rgt 3. RK 26.03.1944. not sure of his title but should be found in a number of German Antiquity Buch shops

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  3. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I am at a complete loss. I can not remember where I found some of these. They were online at one time.
    It may have been on the now regrettably defunct BattleOfMonteCassino.com website... but I think I remember them being pointed out by a veteran I visited in Tyrol in 2004.
    Likely a german website. I will try to remember... but I have run out of steam today.

FYI: Good German Video of training operations of the famous Fallschirmjäger German Paratroopers.

[video=youtube;DBc41_f8eZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBc41_f8eZI[/video]

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thank you to both of you!

The video showed some of the olive coloured parachutes which caused some losses for the reason that the impregnation glued the silk together and the poor guys had nothing than a lump of silk that won´t open. Not a fine way to die.

5. Fred Wilson

Sigh. Still struggling with this. Bound and determined to remember. But no luck yet with German Military Maps.

I suggest that your best avenue would be to troll through those Google Books that have free previews, secondly try inter library loans.

Did find a couple from the Irish Brigade, though not much use: Irish Brigade - Battlefield Maps: May / June 1944

A Polish Map. Zoom in for more detail... http://kresy-siberia.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=16150

American Maps, page 34 on... at Google Books preview of Cassino 1944, Breaking the Gustov Line

Life Magazine page 30... does a good job of identifying Allied battle landmarks.

as I recall the German ones were no more detailed.

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Fred, no matter it is interesting stuff too! Maybe you´ll find some and thank you very much for your efforts to do so!!!

7. Fred Wilson

8. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thank you Fred! It shows somesthing to me.