Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Submerged Aircraft carriers

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by Zee_Phantom23, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Zee_Phantom23

Zee_Phantom23 recruit

Have you guy any info on the so called, Submarine air craft carriers, It was used by the japanese imperial navy(i think) and the germans tried to build one as well, but thats as much info as i know

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

sunny971 and sniper1946 like this.
  3. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

This wiki page looks reasonably complete
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_aircraft_carrier

I can't think of any others
    More on individual subs details here
    I-400 class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This page contains details on the German U-Boat Type III, Type IV, Type V, Type VI, Type VIII, Type XI, Type XII, Type XIII, XV, XVI, VB60, V80, U-179, XVII.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_...Surcouf_(N_N_3)

The Germans also deployed the Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 rotary wing glider that was used to enhance the U Boat search capablity but it carried no weapons.
    Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMO the I-400 as a "wonder weapon" is pure hype. Given good radar receivers to warn of approaching hostiles (and the Japanese had some), the planes may get to launch, but in the face of shore based air patrols they may be able to fly at most one or two missions before being lost because the mother ship had to stay submerged to survive. A lot of effort to drop a few light bombs.

BTW if you look at the bottom of the page we already have TWO submarine aircraft carrier threads, what about a merge?

4. Peisander

Peisander Member

There were plans for such a U-boat with a large hanger over the aft deck behind the bridge tower. I can't for the moment recall the class of Uboat however it was based IIRC on a Turkish boat design.

The hanger was huge which must have presented issues for submerging.

There was a serious proposal in 1943 revealed by spy Erich Gimpel to transport two Ju-87B by U-boat to an Island owned by Colombia but located near the Yutacan Peninsula and fly a raid against the Gatun Docks.

In all likelihood this was the same Uboat discussed.

There were also two designs of Messerschmitt BF109 floatplanes. One with a single central float and two outriggers. I have never seen any reference to folding wings for it.

The other 109 floatplane had two floats and was to be flown piggyback upon the top of a French flying boat to attack New York. The floats would allow it to alight beside a U-boat after the attack but the kreigsmarine refused to provide a U-boat for the mission.

5. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

The Type III war a never built pre war design and had a large hangar behind the conning tower.
    A couple of planes were sent dismantled to Japan in transport boats, IIRC a Fw 190 and one of the jets, the Ju 87 story may have been something like that with the planes re-assembled on a land strip.

Do tou have any references to 109 floatplanes, the story looks really strange, what would the "French flying boat" be? a Bv 222 (or Bv 238 if already available) looks a much better idea if you want to attempt something like that. And the 109 with it's short range looks a really bad choice for such an attempt.

6. Proud South Korean

Proud South Korean Member

Not only the Japanese, but the German, French, and British tried to build it as well. I wonder if there's any countries today that making it.....
    Anyway, the Japanese completed about 3 submarine aircraft carriers, and I think about 1 was successful in launching an aircraft. I think that some aircraft actually flew over to the US and bombed it....I'm not sure because it's been a long time since I've heard about it

7. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

This was the British effort;

HMS M2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It wasn't thought to be a worthwhile idea.

There was a proposal during the 1980s for a system called Skyhook that could be installed on merchant ships primarily allowing a Harrier aircraft to dock and refuel and rearm, hopping across the oceans of the world. The idea was extended to submarines but as far as i know was never actually tested on one.