Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

submerged sherman tank off saipan..

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by sniper1946, Dec 31, 2009.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

2. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

That is very interesting, it is good that they left it there, after so many years I doubt anything bad will come of it by now.

3. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

that is a very cool find, beats a tire swing for jumping into the water for sure!

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

and has stood the ravishes of time too andy/tom....

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, iv'e seen this tank before. Its in a book called: The American Heritage History of WWII.

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

do you recall the story behind it carl...

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, I don't remember what was said about it in the book but I THINK it had to do with it getting water into its engine and the tank was merely left where it sat. I'll try digging out my book to see what it says-providing I can find what box its still in? ;-)) Oh and the photo was a color photo of it and taken shortly before the book was first printed-which im guessing was sometime in the 1970's? and the Sherman of course was less deteriorated ;-))

8. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

thanks carl,hopefully you'll find it without too much of a problem,ray..:)

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, ill see what "the book" has on it. If I remember correctly? it only had a short captioning and no actual story-but will check none-the-less. ;-))

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

even old ww2 jap tanks have found good use now...
    ‘Tank’ swim, run kicks off yearly Saipan races

Submitted by Guam Editor on Wed, 2009-12-23 07:07

[​IMG]

By MVA
    World War II history meets 21st century athleticism in the Northern Mariana Islands on Jan. 9 as the Tank 2 Tank swim-run event returns.
    Sponsored by the Marianas Tourism Education Council (MTEC) to raise funds for tourism awareness, the event features a swim around a Japanese World War II tank in the lagoon of the island of Saipan. It is followed by a run along the Saipan Beach Pathway to another Japanese tank.
    The Tank 2 Tank will begin at the old AJ’s Restaurant on the beach in Susupe. Registration begins at 6:30 a.m. and the race starts at 7 a.m. The registration fee is $20 for individuals and $30 for teams.
    The event is broken into several categories. The open category for competitors ages 17 and older involves a 1-kilometer swim and a 5-k run, while the masters’ category allows those age 40 and older to compete against each other on a course equal to that of the open category.
    The Tank 2 Tank also has categories for youths. Children ages 8 and under can take on a 100-meter swim and 1-k run. Youths ages 9 to 12 have a chance at a 200-m swim and 2-k run, while teens ages 13 to 16 can compete in a 500-m swim and 2-k run. An “anything goes” category also challenges athletes with a 500-meter swim and 2-k run.
    “What’s great about Tank 2 Tank is that it’s very inclusive and offers a category for all levels of swimmers and runners,” MTEC president Ed Cho recently told the Saipan Tribune. “Marianas Tourism Education Council and the Marianas Visitors Authority are pleased to collaborate with our athletic community once again in spreading the message that everyone can – and should – support tourism.”
    Teams must do the longest course to qualify for the team prize. In the Anything Goes category, swimmers may use fins, life jackets or snorkels. All participants will receive a T-shirt and breakfast, compliments of Saipan Grand Hotel.
    The Tank 2 Tank event kicks of another year of annual sporting events on Saipan, some of which have already had their starting dates announced. They include the 3rd Annual Marianas Coffee Trail Run, slated for Jan. 23.
    The course for this race, which runs from American Memorial Park to the peak of Mt. Tapochao and back, passes some of the oldest coffee trees in the Marianas. It offers views of Saipan’s lagoon, jungle forests and breathtaking island vistas.
    Soon to follow the Coffee Trail Run is the Festival of Runs, set for March 6. The annual signature event of the Marianas Visitors Authority (MVA) attracts international competitors from Japan, China, and other countries with its combination full-marathon, half-marathon, and 10-k course. The registration deadline for this six-category event with winners’ prizes is Feb. 25.
    Swimmers looking for runners or runners who are looking for swimmers to compete in the Tank 2 Tank event, as well as those seeking details on other upcoming events..

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good stuff Ray. Also, all over Guam, you can still find and see Japanese stuff. A friend of mines Dad (and family) who was in the Navy, was stationed there for a few years. He showed me several photos of Japanese weapons, munitions, vehicles, bunker and such-that are scattered all across Guam-or used to be as of about 22 years ago.

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

hi Ray, ill try borrowing my Bros computer this evening if he heads out to party? and will see what that book says. I remember I already unpacked it but have not looked at it since then.

14. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

cheers carl......

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

hi ray, we lost internet connection @ home for some reason? I was able to visit here last night and reply to one PM-then the internet went Kablooey :-( Anyway, Ill try agasin tonight to see if the damned computer and internet will let me on the site and will post the caption info for you. Id do so now but, I was in a hurry to leave the house this morning and forgot to bring the info with me :rolleyes:

PS-the :rolleyes: is for me ;-))

16. USMC

USMC Member

very cool...Thanks for sharing!!