Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sunday at the Mossie Museum

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Martin Bull, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thought a day at the Mosquito Museum would be a fun tryout for my new digi-toy.....

Work continues on FBVI, TA122 : -

TA122

Especially in the cockpit area ; note the fighter-type 'stick' column with firing buttons : -

cockpit

I got my hands dirty and did some work for a change, doping the tailfin. Here it is before : -

fin

...and after ( doping is better than sniffing glue ! :eek: ) :-

fin doped

And best of all, we had a total surprise visit from Michael Gill who actually flew TA122 post-war with 4 Squadron at Volkel - very rare to be able to reunite a veteran pilot with a historic airframe. here he is, with his charming wife ; -

TA122 Pilot

Great fun this digital business - be even better when I learn how to use it properly ! :rolleyes: [​IMG]

Otto likes this.
  2. TA152

TA152 Ace

Those are really fine pictures you took Martin. [​IMG] Keep posting more of them. The Comet looks interesting, how much of it is there ?
    The museum looks like they do quality work!

3. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Martin, those really are good quality pictures. Thanks for posting them. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

4. Martin Bull

Well - it must be the camera, not me [​IMG]

Ta, that's all there is of the Comet ! It's a nose section which is open to the public. However, at the back of the museum we have a complete fuselage from a very early production example which has the original square windows ; the area which failed causing the Comet crashes.

5. Martin Bull

Well, as people liked the other photos, here's just one more - of Mosquito B35 TA634.

It's a little hemmed in at the moment, maybe I'll get a nicer shot during the winter when we move the aircraft around. BTW, the man standing on the right is Ray Cooper, a very unassuming man who will only tell you - when pushed - that he was RAF groundcrew in WWII, working among other things on Blenheims during the Battle of Britain.

TA634

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great pics, Martin!

Soon you´ll wonder how you´d get along without one!

Just think that some 10 years ago no personal computer, no cellular phone...

;)

7. Martin Bull

...no WWII Forums ! :eek: How did we survive....? ;)

8. TA152

TA152 Ace

Anouther great picture. I wish I had some money to donate to the museum as I am impressed by the quality work they do. I have been to the Confederate Air Force museum in Harlingen in the 70's and 80's and the difference is night and day in the level of workmenship.
    I hope Santa comes thru and delivers your video camera. You will like that too.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

more please ............. :D

Martin just how many Mossies are in the holdings of the museum ?

noticed that Osprey pubs are releasing their night fighter aces book on the Mossie today: # 69.

hopeful some beneficial information is included not published elsewhere. probably take a onth before it reaches us here in the States

E ~

10. TA152

TA152 Ace

I have been researching new angles for you to take pictures Martin. Notice this one toward the bottom of the Adrenalin group Mosquito, VR 796. All you have to do is find an 18 foot ladder, climb on top and get a good picture for the forum members. ( they still have free medical service in the UK don't they ? )

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Mosquito.htm

11. Martin Bull

Erich, the Museum has the complete prototype W4050, B35 TA634 and complete-in-parts FBVI TA122, plus substantial pieces of B35 TJ118 which is being used as a donor for the restoration of TA122.

W4050 is doubly historic as being the only surviving WWII combat aircraft prototype.

I shall look for the Osprey nightfighter title with interest ; but as usual, it won't list sources... :rolleyes:

12. Martin Bull

I saw the new 'Mosquito Aces' Osprey title at the Duxford Show yesterday and I'm sorry to say that I was not impressed.

Admittedly, I only had a 'flick-through' but really, to me it seemed like a one-volume rehash of their previous Mossie titles. Nothing surprising among the photos, no sources, nothing whatsoever to tempt me out of £12.99. [​IMG]

Believe me, there is a much better Mosquito book in the pipeline.... ;)

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

bummer friend !

but on the other hand I have about 3 books on the subject matter ` aircraft. may I ask a bit more about the new surprise on the wooden wonder ? ......... ah, Martin as co-author eh ??

E :cool:

14. Martin Bull

Sadly not ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

The new Mossie book is under wraps - but I absolutely guarantee that it is full of photos ( many from private collections ) which have never been published before and have been collected together by a recognized authority on the Mosquito.

As soon as firmer info is forthcoming, I'll let everyone know.....

15. TA152

TA152 Ace

Where are the Duxford pictures at ?? You did'nt go to the show and forget your camera did you ? :eek:

16. Martin Bull

The Mosquito Museum opened its doors to the public again today after the winter lay-off.

Mosquito FBVI TA122 has now had its fuselage painted in the colours it originally wore during WWII and looks good alongside B.35 TA634....

[​IMG]

Work continues apace on TA122's wing : restoration is now coming along very well and - who knows / - fuselage and wing may finally be mated on Europe's only surviving Mossie Fighter/Bomber next Winter. Here's the Museums' Richard Benham and Colin Ewer cutting yet another sheet of plywood to fit....

[​IMG]

It would be nice to hear this song again someday.....

[​IMG]

17. TA152

TA152 Ace

Great pictures Martin ! Post more if you have them please. :dazed:

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

more great pics Martin ! hey you may just hear the sound yet and sooner than you think. do they ever bring out the complete Mossie for public inspection and under high security ? :D

I'd luv to be there taking snaps and absorbing the smells and stories

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thank you for sharing these great pictures. it's fantastic to realise how the right camouflages are used and the sight of the cockpit really made my day. I wish I had time to visit. The quality is impressive. It's a true heritage that deserves to be preserved.

20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Great pics Martin, set me thinking (a rare event and no mistake). I'm looking at moving back to London in the next little while and was wondering how one might go about volunteering at the mossie museum? I have been a couple of times and as a youngster was invited to sit in the cockpit of the prototype which (alongside helping push a spitfire back into the hanger and so earning a seat in the cockpit) is one of my most treasured memories.