Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Swizterland

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by silentmidgetassasin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. silentmidgetassasin

silentmidgetassasin Member

I have always wondered how they were able to stay out of the fighting, so I have been doing some research on Switzerland's neutrality. Some things i came up with are:

Switzerland was very hard to invade because of the fact that its surrounded by mountaints. The Germans had planned to invade Switzerland, but abandoned the plans because they estimated about 200,000 casualties. Not that they didnt want to have Switzerland, it would have made things much easier for Germany. Plus, Switzerland's militia system would have been very hard to contend with (every man kept a weapon in their house and were encouraged to train, so mobilisation of this force would have been very easy). Plus, the Swiss government factioned iteself into 26 different groups, and told the people that anything they heard about surrender was Nazi propaganda, thus, ensuring that surrender in case of invasion was impossible.

On the reasons why the Allies wouldnt have invaded Switzerland: The Swiss helped out the Allies by giving them supplies, and also the above paragraph, showing that the Swiss were ready to oppose the Nazis. Churchill had also praised the Swiss because they opposed the Nazis and were democratic

Also, there was no way that the Swiss were going to declare war on Germany or anyone else because they had made the decision to never use their armed forces for expansion after their loss in 1515, and I think that many other countries, from both the Axis and the Allies, had money in Switzerland. Plus, it was a safe place to keep money and goods safe, knowing it was neutral.

I was wondering what everone's ideas on this topic were, and if you had anything to add or change.

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

Those are good facts to know. I think alot of allied and Axis aircraft landed there during the war due to battle damage or being tired of the war and the crews were interned for the war. I believe the Swiss shot down a few German aircraft also for going into their airspace. Also I think I remember the US Air Force accidently bombed a Swiss town near the French border but I don't know the details.

I also wonder how the Sweden was able to remain neautral. I know they sold steel to both sides during the war and they would shoot at British bombers who got too close to their territory.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx for the info silentmidgetassasin,

Personally I think that it was necessary for both sides to have a couple of neutral countries around, through which to make certain purchases and also countries for diplomatic contacts. However, if war had gone the way Hitler intended, those countries would have been annexed sooner or later, I think, after their meaning in other aspects had vanished.