Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Synthetic Fuel

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by PzJgr, Jun 22, 2001.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

During the war, Germany perfected the method of turning coal into synthetic fuel. Whatever happened to the formula? Why is it not used today? I heard that the oil companies bought the formula. I also heard that Texas A&M discovered the formula and the oil companies bought it from them. Does anybody know the answer?

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry I cant answer that, but I would like to see someone start selling that excellent Gun oil made from wood pulp. The Germans used this on the Eastern Front and the stuff would not let your rifle sieze, even in the coldest conditions.

3. USMA03

USMA03 Member

How is the oil made? It seems like this would be an invaluable part of any army's "Northern Warfare" supplies. Given that the U.S. is full of trees, it must be used for Arctic Warfare...

Steve :rolleyes:

[ 23 June 2001: Message edited by: USMA03 ]

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello West Point, I don't know how they make oil from the wood pulp, but I do know that the Germans made oil from it and it was very successful in cold weather climates.

I have asked many gun dealers about whether they heard of this oil or not. In most cases, I get a dumbfounded look, others simply say they never heard ov it. Yet, I have talked to someone who was a sniper in Vietnam, and he also had heard that the Germans made gun oil from wood pulp. This man is credited with 48 kills--so it might give you an idea who I talked to.

Supposedly the oil companies do have the formula, but im sure its not being made do to the GREED factor. If they could produce an oil that was cheaper for the consumer ie-cheaper fuel etc, they would not make the huge profits they are now making today.

Plese correct me if im wrong. This is also only an opinion. ;)

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I totally agree about your opinion of the oil companies and do believe that they have to formula for the synthetic fuel I was talking about. Coal is plentiful and the Germans were using this the last 2 years of the war from what I heard. I read this in an article. I think it was Newsweek. Nevertheless, it would be cheaper and unprofitable for the oil companies. Yes, it boils down to one work, GREED.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

What I don't understand is, Why don't they just say the hell with opec, and restart all the oliwells pumping here in the states--we arn not low on sources of oil, allwe are doing is making the Arabs rich and powerful, and we as well as many allies, are paying much higher and needlessly so, prices for gas/petrol.

Texas IS oil rich, and has countlee thousands of oilwells in place just waiting to be used. I live near an area with many of these dinosaurs waiting to be used--now a single one is being used. Alaska is supposed to be also oil rich as id Oklahoma and who knows where else?

To top that off, we have (or were supposed to heve) a huge surplus of oil already waiting to be used--I wonder why we arent? :confused: :confused: and the only thing I can think of is--the companies greed :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe they will wake-up and smell the coffee someday, but I doubt it :rolleyes:

7. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Hmm. Makes one wonder what else was developed but "swept under the rug" once the Allies knew what they seized......

Anyways, synthetic fuels & oils are profoundly overlooked having come out of Germany's desperate measures in the waning months of WW2. I only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my car, and it holds pressure better, has a MUCH higher heat index, and comes out almost the same color as in went in.
    See, the Germans had the extreme temperatures that a jet-powered turbine engine (read ME 262) generates in mind. All jets use it today because its the only lubricant that does not break down/lose viscosity.

We reap the benefits today [​IMG]

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I don't think we will ever reap the benefits of much that camo out of WW2. You can bet that many things other than the atom bomb, were developed and kept secret.

Look at all the info researchers try to get on stuff from ww1 and ww2, which is STILL secret--and why :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: apparently SOMETHING to do with making money for just a few I suppose.