Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tank Battles in Manhay

Discussion in 'Tank Warfare of World War 2' started by Tolga Alkan, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hello,

I already studied from several references Battles in Manhay,December 1944.However,I would like to read another point of view on this battle.Could anyone suggest me further reading at this battle?Mostly I read all of German perspective.

Best
    Tolga

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If you get a chance, go there! There is nothing quite like walking around on the grounds you just read about.

I don't know any specialized books on the fighting around Manhay. Combat records of 2nd SS Panzer division, 560th Volksgrenadier division and the American 18th Airborne Corps would help.

3. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah I have some plans to visit battlefields in Manhay,Freineux and Odeign,however I don't when will I do.

Best

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Could someone please post details about the Manhay battle(s)?

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Manhay is a village in the Ardennes, and during the Ardennes Offensive of December 1944 it was on the northern wing of the salient, some kilometers west of St. Vith and Vielsalm. When on December 24th the Americans finally withdrew from positions covering Vielsalm the advance of the 2nd SS Panzer Corps (2nd and 9th SS Panzer divisions) came under way and moved right on Manhay in order to break through the Allied lines now running east-west. The goal of the Corps, supported by the 560th Volksgrenadier division, was of course the river Meuse, which at that point is situated in the northwest.

The Allied forces they met were the exhausted men of the 82nd Airborne that had held positions along the Salm for a week against heavy German attacks, as well as the independent 517th PIR and 509th PIB of 18th US Airborne Corps (Ridgway). Elements of the 3rd US Armoured division later joined these forces, and together they managed to prevent the German capture of the village of Manhay. The SS Panzer troops were later redeployed against Bastogne further south, leaving only the 560th VG Div to hold of Allied attacks. On January 7th the Allied counteroffensive pushed the last Germans back from the area.

6. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
  7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They were the main part of the 2nd SS Panzer Division. So that you don't think I didn't mention them! :D

8. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't why I acted very sensetive,I'm gathering informations about this tank battle nowadays. :)

9. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Interesting that the Germans couldn't take the town from a worn out airborne division. How much of the 3rd Armored Division was deployed there, Roel?

10. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    One Combat Command as far as I know. But you must remember that the 2nd SS had just fought the 82nd and 7th Armoured divisions for a week and were just as exhausted as their enemies.

11. Steiner phpbb3

Steiner phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The terrain was not favorable for tanks and the Panzer Divison was pretty exhausted by the delaying actions of the 7th U.S. Armoured Division near Sankt Vith.

We should also take into account that the men of Das Reich were not of the quality of 1943 - the division was almost destroyed two times between december 1943 and december 1944. By that time the gaps were second rate replacements or worse. We also should give the 82nd U.S. the credit of their fighting capabilities - it was one of the finest units of the American Army.

12. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    the black shirt or 2nd ss was at manhay very intersting becouse ive been interseted in them they played a big part in operation christrose

13. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    one picture comes to mind when i think of manhay its the picture of one of the roads and there is 4 knocked out shermans and a jeep srry my earlier posting i put up is bad but we cannot underestimate the 2nd ss or the 82nd

14. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ahh here it is The image “http://www.panzer.pe.kr/resources/images/photos/Bulge-Manhay-rmnts-01.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.ok if this works
    tell me there is only three knocked shermans sorry my fault

15. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    they had
    49panthers
    20jagd[anzers
    some 60 pnazer 1v's
    well i think please tell me if thats wrong
    also do you know where i could get info from via book or internet?

16. E. Rommel phpbb3

E. Rommel phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I dont know much about Manhay. Where can I get info?
    All I know is it was run off the history books because of the Ardennes Offensive

17. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It was part of the Ardennes Offensive, since it's in the Ardennes. ;)

The German advance kept being stalled wherever the German armies tried to move northward to the bridges over the Meuse they wished and planned to capture. This happened at Elsenborn, at Spa, at Stoumont/La Gleize and later at Manhay.

18. fsbof

fsbof Member

via TanksinWW2
    For a very good account of the fighting at Freineux and Lamormenil on 24 Dec 1944, read "Freineux and Lamormenil - The Ardennes" by George Winter; published by J. J. Fedorowicz, 1994; ISBN 0-921991-20-7 (80 pages, not one of the huge books!). Well illustrated with photos of the participants and their vehicles.

19. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

To keep this thread up to date, George Winter also wrote 'Manhay - The Ardennes - Christmas 1944' again published by JJF 1990, ISBN-0-921991-10-X.

Both titles are essential reading for anyone seriously interested in the Ardennes Offensive. They're long out-of-print but can be found with a bit of diligent internet searching.