Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tank crew cooling question

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by TA152, Mar 18, 2003.

1. TA152

TA152 Ace

I have a tank question about operations in the desert. How did the crews stay cool ? If the outside temperture is in the 100's then inside a dark painted tank with the engine running and the hatches closed must have been murder ! Even at night with all that thick steel it must not have really ever got a chance to cool down inside the tank. Yet I never read of a German, British or Italian tank crew being disabled due to heat exhaustion. I read that they did not get much to drink in the desert so how did they survive ? Also doe;s the M-1 or M-60 tanks have A/C in them today ?

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Another interesting question, which I'd never really thought about.

There's a little bit in John Ellis' fascinating book, ' The Sharp End ' , viz : -

'Surprisingly, perhaps, (tank crews) were often very cold because the tank's engine was deemed more important than the men who manned it. In many models the engine was cooled by a fan in the turret and this wafted cold air, rain or snow indiscriminately over the actual motor and those in the bowels of the tank. The Matilda 1 was notorious for this as was the ubiquitous Sherman in which 'there was always a considerable downdraught going through the commander's cupola'. The Cromwell, too, suffered from this defect and more cold air was sucked through the driver's visor.
    In the desert, however, this cold air could provide some sort of ventilation and air-conditioning. It was for this reason that although temperatures in stationary tanks often reached alarming levels, the starting of the engine brought speedy relief, and heat stroke, over which many fears had been expressed, was never a problem amongst armoured units'. ( 1990 edn, p.146 ).

3. Greg A

Greg A Member

Yes the M-1 is air conditioned inside, most modern armored vehicles are.

I've never been in one though, I don't think they'd sell them to the public. No road rager would swear or stick their middle finger up at me if I had one of those babies as my car. :D

Greg