Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
  1. Mr Bruh

Mr Bruh New Member

Is it true that during the European campaign in ww2 , the us army had to force people like rifleman , clerks,cooks etc to convert to tankers due to a shortage?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, I think it is true. the tank people were running out of service ( by dying ) so they had to make other soldiers do their duty.

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

No.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

No?

5. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

I believe the shortages were in infantry, not armor.

And, frankly, there is no "forcing" involved. One gets one's orders and goes where the Army sends you, it is not a subject for debate.

RichTO90 and Kai-Petri like this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

KPH: Does this though mean trained crew were used in wrong positions? Tank crew men were not used for Sherman crew replacements etc etc? Thanx for the training School answer.

In theory, a crewman could fill any position in a tank. In practice, replacements usually were the co-driver or loader until they gained experience. The problem with the miss-assignment of trained tank crew was discovered in Italy in late 1943 and was corrected in the ETOUSA. However, demand was high and the pipeline was long so it wasn't unusual to find untrained replacements in the replacement pipeline, which led to in theater training - the 707th Tk Bn was initially used by the ETOUSA as a training unit until the need for tank battalions became so great it was sent into action. The end result was that there were times at the sharp end when untrained men were "volunteered" as tank crew, but it was the exception rather than the rule.

Richard Anderson

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

"In theory, a crewman could fill any position in a tank" - Just so long as they were a short arse. Sailors and tankies are chosen for their size first...

8. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Why sailors? I worked in an engine room that housed, comfortably, a three storey high boiler.

RichTO90 likes this.
  9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And tiny doors to get in and out of every small room...I’ve never actually heard it stated...but a parade suddenly hits you in the face...

10. Takao

Takao Ace

More to the point, US submariners are chosen for their size. They are 6'1" or shorter. Sailors are limited to 6'8", only because most bunks are 6'3", with a few being 6'6"(but those are very limited).

11. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about oilers.

12. harolds

harolds Member

Re. tank crew. In its pre-war planning the U. S. Army underestimated the casualties that they would take in both the infantry and armored forces. Therefore, I think it COULD be true. If it is true, I doubt that anyone would cop to actually ordering such a dumb idea and would do everything to cover it up.
    On the other hand, the Germans, if they had tank crews without tanks. had no reservation about using them as infantry (panzer grenadiers). Also a dumb idea!