Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tanks ramming through buildings

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Wolfy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

saw a propaganda picture of a tiger I that looks like it emerged through the wall of a building. but a close look at the front shows tread tracks ahead of the tank so it was actually backing into the building (or through an existing hole through the building.) and why would you risk that? the slim 88 gun will get bent!

2. razin

razin Member

The photo of the M48 doing the telegraph pole test.:)

View attachment 5859

I can remember that there were many stories in 1960s U.S. combat series comic books of Tigers (they were always Tigers:rolleyes:) hidding in buildings, which probably didn't happen often but most fiction starts with a kernel of fact, but I've never seen a photo of a destroyed tank in this scenario.

~Steve

Attached Files:

• M48.jpg
      M48.jpg
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
  3. razin

razin Member

As an addition to my previous post i had a look through various books for evidence of the Panzer lurking in a house but was unable to find one (although I am sure that others may have access to a wider library of Panzer shots as my primary study area is allied armour)

I found this one however, the caption said it was destroyed by a Bazooka hit on the turret side by 2nd Infantry Division 17th December 1944.

View attachment 5883

However there seems to be something amiss, the engine compartment and the deck over the right fuel tank is burning and in addition the deck is covered with rubble, possibly the engine having overheated with debris choking the radiator and the fire seems to by spreading from the engine compartment to the fighting compartment. Possibly having been flushed out of a position in or near a building, the turret hit being the final damage- note the turret damage must be on the other side from the camera, the hedge being a good firing point.

~Steve

Attached Files:

Wolfy likes this.
  4. m kenny

m kenny Member

5. Triple C

Triple C Ace

It was done in emergencies, I doubt anything short of one of "Oh God, we are all going to die" situations would prompt such reckless use of a tank. The barrel, optics, traverse and engine all could be damaged and make a sitting duck out of you.

I recall one night attack on a little village-town made by the 30th Infantry Division led to a melee between American doughs and German panzers in pitch-black. The driver of one of the Pazer Mark IVs, evidently spooked by the bazooka and rifle-grenade fire directed at it, drove pell-mal into a stone wall, crashed through it and became immobalized. The G.I.s immediatelys swarmed it and battered it so hard with small-arms and rifle-grenades that the crew bailed, and narrowly escaped after another panzer intervened to help them out.

An inspection of the Mark IV after the battle revealed that it suffered no damage other than what was inflicted by the stone wall.

6. Joe

Joe Ace

From Jaeger's post here; http://www.ww2f.com/weapons-wwii/22132-stug-iv-silent-stalker.html

(Underline mine)

By the way m kenny, I can't stand that program. It makes me cringe!

7. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

This was a demonstration video at a proving ground; on the battlefield the tank probably would have gotten overwhelmed by infantry. Plus, the turret is facing backwards, also a disadvantge in combat, but essential if you want to plow a rare tiger tank through a house.

8. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

well in order to do that the tank would like you said have to have its turret turned the other way in order to protect its main gun.

9. bigfun

bigfun Ace

I don't know much about ramming, but I just read about how the Shermans worked with the infantry to blow holes in walls, repeatedly, so the soldiers could walk thru the blown out buildings, instead of walking thru the streets!

10. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

that sounds like some great help for the infantry not only would that help them out but it would also kill or the germans or give them some serious shell shock

11. RoadToMoscowHistorian

RoadToMoscowHistorian recruit

The heavier tanks could do it, but it would be a last resort. After all, there could be a basement in the building, and it is doubtfull the floor would support 30+ tons that just showed up.