Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JeffinMNUSA, Aug 5, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The thing about both of these classics, is I never really watched them for story or accuracy, I watched them both because of the one hell of a great cast both movies had. Now had these came out today with todays ""stars"' I still might have liked the movies but it really depends on who was in them?

2. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

just come back from seeing it.......and i thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

it's no history lesson, thats for sure......just old fashioned entertainment....which i was expecting and enjoyed.

think "comic book".....if you like / liked them, then you should enjoy this. (kind of like KILL BILL)

3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I concur 100%..........it was slow, in the beginng; but, it all made sense in the end.

I give it two thumbs up.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Sort of like "Dude, Where's My Car" eh?

5. will382

will382 Member

I also thought it was pretty good! You could definitely tell quentin was directing it, there were a lot of parts you didn't expect to see... but then again it is an 18!

Bit cheesy at times, and a pretty unrealistic story, but a well made and fun film!

6. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Saw it last night, I thought it was pretty good. I was a little surprised though, it is not what the previews make it out to be. The previews would have you think it is just about Pitt's Bastards going around and killing everyone. That is certainly not the case, the main plot was about sabotaging a film premiere which Hitler and other important figures were attending. Good movie, possibly not worth seeing it in theaters.

7. barry8108

barry8108 Member

I thought it was really good. It had some humor and even though it was longer than most movies it was never boring. It reminded me a lot of Pulp Fiction in the way all the people ended up togeather at the end.

8. Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill Member

Superb film. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and Tarantino at his finest.

My lass didn't like it very much mind!! :D

9. Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill Member

A ludicrous claim. The finale was made all the more exhilirating with the power of the surround sound. I would urge anyone with the intention of seeing this film to do so by seeing it at a decent cinema. A DVD home viewing would simply not do it justice.

10. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You know I think that holds true with all of Tarrentino's films. "Pulp Fiction" was great in the theaters and sucked on VHS; but, the DVD and Blu Ray releases have been excellent.

11. Niles23

Niles23 Member

Great movie i loved every min of it.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im kinda surprised its getting good reviews. All the ones on WTG that have mentioned it--said it sucked. I guess to each his own? ;-))

13. Rubberman

Rubberman Member

I would have to agree on that.....just seen the movie last night great flick maybe a little slow to start be finished with a bang.Did anyone notice the badge on Lt Aldos arm when he was looking at the troops...First Special Forces badge.....the Devils Brigade.

14. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I too thought it was pretty good and you could definitely tell it was a Tarantino Film! Interesting role (and makeup) for Mike Myers (aka Austin Powers) and his first 'serious' role.

Its not a gung-ho style film either, when it comes down to it, more about the intrigue etc. Mind you, it is gory when there is violence and Brad Pitts character is actually rather amusing!

You've also got to love all the hidden references and jabs at the Third Reich (with the portrayals of the big names, plus the absurd red-flags and decorations that adorn the theatre, lol)...but as a WW2 you must go see the movie in a theatre!

15. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Well I just come back from watching it...

I found it pointless to bring popcorn.. It's kinda hard to enjoy food while watching someone getting scalped!

Those were some pretty gory scenes.. oh boy, i had to turn away sometimes..

Saving private Ryan was like a kids movie campared to that...

But there were some funny scenes too.. Brad Pitt did a good job.

for me, it was just ok... it's the kind of movie that you have to put aside all the facts and history you know about ww2 and just go in there and expect lots of bloody action.

That one is not going in my movie collection.. but at least I was entertained.

I give it a...

nine, nine , nine, nine, nine

(out of 20)

sorry I had to do it...

:D

16. Milleniumgorilla

Milleniumgorilla Member

Just returned from the cinema and must say I enjoyed the movie very much. Though it was a bit violent the gore factor wasn't unbearable high. The plot was interesting, the acting was pretty good (even by Brad Pitt).It had lot's of very funny moments (Arrividerci! :) ) Overall 8 from 10.

Grüße
    Philipp

Edit: And it was very refreshing to see a movie without a hero.

17. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I hated it, i really can't see how people can laugh at nazis being brutally murdered, then getting their scalp cut off. The americans were about 10 times worse than the nazis in this movie. Guess what i did with the movie ticket?

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I still have not and will not watch tarantinos garbage movie. I was reading today in Otto Carius's book: Tigers in the Mud, and what he said was absolutely correct. I don't have the book on hand ot quote him but it has to do with just another bashing of German Soldiers-to which I fully concur. Ill tell you one thing, the Germans had many Countires sared shipless-and since that happened, one wonders HOW that could have happened if they were all mindless buffoons?

19. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Historically, both sides committed war-crimes so there really is no point debating 'which side is worse'. Its clearly a fictional movie (HELLO! HITLER GETS BLOWN UP!) and shouldn't be viewed as anything other. The Nazis are clearly not portrayed as mindless bastards - I bring your attention to main Nazi character in movie, the Jew Hunter (or whatever his nickname was), who is depicted as highly intelligent, versed in multiple languages, etc. I also bring your attention to the bar scene - both the drunk soldier and SS Officer pick up on the accent (and the SS Officer has clearly figured them out to be spies). Also, the theater scene, where the actress gets killed by our smarty-pants Jew Hunter, clearly the Nazis have outsmarted the Allies throughout the entire movie.

20. uksubs

uksubs Member

For me the bar scene was the best bit of the film