Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tha Nagasaki Atomic Bomb.........

Discussion in 'Atomic Bombs In the Pacific' started by C.Evans, Feb 8, 2003.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Here is a bit of ww2 G.I.humor--which by the way was not allowed during the Gulf War. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G.I.humor:

The B-29 named: "Bocks Car" was the Bomber chosen to deliver the 2nd Atomic Bomb. This particular bomb was supposed to be dropped on Kokura, ut Nagasaki was chosen as the secondary target. On the Island of Tinian on August 8 1945, Harlow Russ wrote on the bomb:

"Sappy Jappy Started Scrappy, Bombed Pearl Harbor, Pretty Crappy. Jappy have reached end of Scrappy, bomb will knock Jappy Slappy Happy."

This was on the bomb that was dropped on August 9 1945.

2. Greg A

Greg A Member

Interesting I never knew that was written on "Fat Man" thanks for the post.

Kokura was covered by an industrial fire that morning so after numerous passes the "Bock's Car" diverted to Nagasaki and only had fuel for one pass. There was cloud cover so when they dropped the bomb it did not land on the assigned aiming point at the center of Nagasaki but on the outskirts, which is why about half as many people died at Nagasaki as at Hiroshima.

A little bit more info.

Greg

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome and thanks for the additional info. Sorry it took so long for me to reply--I normally don't get into PTO stuff and I'd forgot I made two postings recently in here. :eek: :eek:

4. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Miserable Cretin

I'm Stupid

[ 28. March 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Knight Templar ]

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

A sign of the times. :rolleyes:

6. Knight Templar

Yeah. Celebrating mass murder.
    What's next? Famous jokes of the Gestapo?

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Knight--I ONLY report what I am told what I see--read and dig up. You can take these postings however you will take them. I cant force someone seeing this as a "Piece of history" if they dont wanna see it as a "Piece of history." Whether it was stupid or not--thats for you to decide--not me. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Knight Templar

Spare me the scholar-of-history routine, Carl.
    I'm just looking for a cheap laugh here.
    During these times of terrorism, weapons of mass destruction, and our government, jokes about the Nagasaki bombing just seem a little more nuclear.

[ 28. March 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Knight Templar ]

9. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

It's ok-i think that during times like this where our world seems fragile and war-mongerish, that we just need to keep open-minded.
    Knight's stance is acceptable, but we all musn't take such things so literally.

We all share the same interests here-lets not spoil such a harmony with a plain note of historical fact-that simply cannot be changed-its done!!!

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Knight--you have lost touch with reality with your last posting. Please get real mate [​IMG]

What in your mind makes YOU think that I have actually laughed at people being killed??????

ANYWAY--look at this thread again--I posted only what was then some G.I.Humor--nothing more nothing less and this is no conspiracy theory either. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[ 15. February 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

11. DUCE

DUCE Member

I agree Carl.

The post was meant for some light humour, but CAN be taken the wrong way. Personally, I think it's fine, but I'm just an underage Canadian...so what would I know? LOL

DUCE

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Duce and--you are an underaged Canadian but, you are an underaged Canadian with Common Sense. ;)

13. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Its what soldiers always do... paint stuff on bombs. And the guys dropping the bomb didnt know what it was gonna do... The scientists didnt even know how big it was gonna be!!! So should we treat pictures of bombs with "To Jerry With Love" style motifs in the same way??? Its just soldiers being soldiers and to take it so vastly out of context as Knight has is to look at it without considering its historical setting.

But them i am English and political correctness can go jump off a cliff...

Take things in context. Thats the whole point of History not Hindsight... [​IMG]

But everyone can voice their opinions...

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

True enough. History can teach us things when we look at it all unbiased. It is an interesting tidbit. Are we not here to learn? Keep it up Carl and everyone else.

15. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Indeed, by looking in the past, a lot of conflicts of today could be solved.

16. Knight Templar

A lot of the WW2 "humor" was completely retarded.
    I have a tape of a lot of the cartoons we showed at that time, with buck-toothed, squinty-eyed "Japs." The stuff is just so stupid that it's repulsive. There's not much talk about the latent racism behind the decision to drop the bomb. We would never have thought about using it on the Germans (I don't think we used napalm on the Germans, either.) But, we were quick to use it on the "Gooks." This type of humor served a major role in the war in dehumanizing the Japanese enemy. I don't find any of the "Jap" jokes particularly funny, and they certainly don't reflect well on the American GIs of that time. As I stated earlier, this thread was started to get a cheap laugh and is not the result of some serious historical investigation.
    Evans' remark, "...which by the way was not allowed during the Gulf War..." followed by all the rolling eyes, clearly implies that it's silly such "humor" is not allowed these days. This is a value judgement which extends beyond the facile "I'm just an historian" routine. Clearly, Evans thinks this sort of thing is funny and it is a mistake to discontinue its practice.
    Whatever.
    I consider the Atomic bombings as among the greatest war-crimes of the century, and this humor is really not much different than the "how many Jews can you stuff in an oven" kind of jokes.

[ 21. March 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Knight Templar ]

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I guess by present standards the quotes, cartoons, music, fasions, hair styles, etc all seem un-natural to us now but put yourself in the picture back in the late 30's-40's.....

also yes we used naphalm in 1945 on roads and MT on the Mosel and through the Ruhr Gebeit during the night via P-61 night fighters of the 9th air force. The 422nd and the 425th were quite active.

E

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

knight--get off your high horse and quit trying to say that I posted something to get a cheap laugh or that it was done for prejudiced purposes.

I think 99% of your postings are "funny" and NOT one of them has made any realk sense or contributions to these forums. This is another "knight" non-sensical example.

I posted this BECAUSE it was something I read in a book published by a ww2 vet that I thought was important enough for posting here.

This posting has NOTHING to do with anything like your "How many jews can be stuffed into an oven" kind of joke.

knight--if you dont like my postings-- Dont read them. You dont like it here--dont let the door hit you on your way out.

19. Knight Templar

Carl, unless you can control yourself, I'm going to recommend this thread be shut down.

20. Knight Templar

Erich: thanks for answering that question for me.
    I always wondered about the use of napalm in the ETO.