Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The 5th Fighter Command in World War II

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Biak, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I just received this book by William Wolf ; published by Schiffer LTD. It's a hefty volume at 8 1/2" by 11" and must weight around 4 pounds with 450+ pages. Numerous pictures of 5th FC aircraft and personnel on nearly every page. The one I ordered is Volume 2: The End in New Guinea, the Philippines, to VJ Day.
    The book is a compilation of every combat mission for each fighter group and squadron flying from bases during the New Guinea - Philippine campaign. The one thing I would have like would have been a more detailed description of the missions detailing each member of each flight. But that's just me. Had Mr. Wolf added the names of every pilot broken down by Group Leader, Element leader or Flight Leader this thing would have topped out at closer to 10 pounds and 1500 pages.
    As with any reading and searching for information, over time you say, " I already knew that" but it's those little Gems that pop up and grab you. I've read the Official history of the 348th FG, and also the not-so-official history of each squadron, perused HyperWar for hours gleaming for information, but once again I happily found several references that made me perk up and shout Ah HAH !
    The main focus of the book is each engagement broken down by ICR of flights; time of combat and description of the actual air-to-air encounters. With a good background of the continuing efforts from higher Command.

To anyone interested in the logistics, day to day routines, movement of forces, combat missions of the Army Air Forces in the South West Pacific Campaign I would highly recommend the book. To that point I've ordered the 1st and 3rd installments; The 5th Fighter Command in WW2 Vol. 1 and Vol 3.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Will/does the New Guinea book detail the RAAF also or just the US?

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Specifically the USAAF units. There are snippets here and there of other squadrons when joint operations occurred.