Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The best weapon of WW2?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Onthefield, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Buck Yaldy

Buck Yaldy Member

This is an excellent topic and can be debated with many fine examples.

I'm not usre how to classify this as a weapon but nobody really mentioned the devastating effects of the firebombing of Germany and Japan. They say in terms of numbers, the firebombing in Japan killed more people than the atomic bombs.

2. Disturbedugg

Disturbedugg Member

Personaly, I think my 2 favorite weapons would be the Gewehr and the Lee End Rifle. I believe the Lee End was the most produced gun. For planes, I'd say B-17 and F6F-5 HellCat, even though it wasn't used too much. Tanks would be T-26B, because it kicked Germany's arse when they tried to invade Russia. It just had the right technology to make it through the snow, and since the German's tanks always got stuck, their infantry was, well, screwed. They wern't prepared for the weather either.

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I don't find this figure very accurate. Soviet KIAs during Berlin offensive —April 16th - May 8th 1945— were most likely not superior to 100.000 men. In all, the Red Army lost: 361.367 men —killed, wounded and missed— 1.997 tanks, 2.108 artillery pieces and 917 planes.

Regards, and welcome to all the new ones! ;)

4. Greenjacket

Greenjacket Member

I think that's a bit overstated, and the IJN took much of their inspiration for Pearl Harbour from the Royal Navy's earlier attack on Taranto.

5. FramerT

FramerT Ace

No doubt, the Panzerfaust was a great anti-tank weapon.But a main reason Russia lost 250,000 men in Berlin?The Panzerfaust was a one shot,throw away weapon.Better than our bazooka though,IMO.

6. SpikedHelmet

SpikedHelmet Member

I think that's a bit overstated, and the IJN took much of their inspiration for Pearl Harbour from the Royal Navy's earlier attack on Taranto. </font>[/QUOTE]What I meant was the structure of the IJN being rather modern, compared to the Navies of others.

7. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

John Browning designed the BAR to provide an automatic rifle for use during World War I. The M1918 saw service toward the end of World War I. The M1918A2, adopted by the Army in 1940, saw extensive service during World War II and Korea. The BAR used .30-06 cal. cartridges in 20-round magazines. The BAR provided an effective rate of fire of 550 spm, and proved to be a very reliable weapon during adverse operating conditions.

In 1940, the model M1918A2 was adopted. Unlike earlier models, it could only be fired in two automatic modes--slow (300 to 450 rpm) or fast (500 to 650 rpm)--but not in semiautomatic mode. Both versions were widely used in the second world war. The USMC preferred the semiautomatic mode in some tactical situations, and modified most of the M1918A2 guns to include that capability. A buffer spring in the butt greatly reduced recoil, to the advantage both of firing accuracy and shooter endurance.

The M1918A2 also mounted its folding bipod (2.38 pounds!) on a special flash hider near the end of the barrel. Since the bipod could easily be detached in this model, it very frequently was! but not often in defensive positions, where it was very effective. The flash hider, which was the point of attachment for the bipod, was not usually removed. Hiding the flash from enemy troops when firing on them isn't the purpose of the hider, all automatic weapons are easily visible when fired at night. It blocks the muzzle flash from the vision of the shooter, maintaining his night vision. That's important!

The Army infantry squad of nine men was tactically organized around a single BAR. The Marine squad of thirteen men was organized around three fire-teams, each organized around a BAR. The much greater fire power of a Marine platoon with its nine BARs over the Army platoon with its four BARs was a great combat advantage.

The BAR was a popular weapon in WWII and Korea, because it was very reliable and offered an excellent combination of rapid fire and penetrating power. The BAR's only serious drawbacks were its lack of a quick-change barrel (to reduce the chance of overheating), and its weight (BAR, with bipod and a loaded bandoleer, came to about 40 pounds).

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Best weapon in ww2? Gabo hiding away in Hendon feeding false information, but if I cannot have a person then.... the aircraft carrier.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

10. comiso90

comiso90 Member

I hope this doesn't sound too rude but that is a laughable statement!
    :rolleyes:
    Perhaps you are thinking of American Armor? If so your statement is understandable. Off the mark, but understandable. American armor was no match for German tanks because it wasn't designed to be! The Allies wanted a tank that was fast and easy to maintain so the enemy could be enveloped and supplies cut.... The Jeep and the Deuce and a half were the best in the world... maybe until the 1980's!

Wow...

Best weapons are the MG-42, M-1 Garand, Essex aircraft carrier,The German 88, and the and the B-29

Why? In order to be the considered the best...

Operational lifetime ... V-2 and other exotic weapons dont apply
    Degree that other weapons are out classed and out innovated
    Damage inflicted

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Not to offend here Comiso90 but you are quoting and responding to someone who last posted 3 years ago. :)

12. krieg

krieg Ace

one might lean towords the foot soldier and rifle as one of the best ww2
    wepon's ...:armyman4:

13. Joe

Joe Ace

Meh. I hate 'best' threads, but my choice is the Lee-Enfield (No.3 or 4, I don't really care, but no.4 wins for looks), probably the Best bolt-action out there and British Rifle drill was superb.
    It nearly served for 100 years, you know! The Basic design was came up with in the 1890's, and was still being used as a sniper's weapon in the 1990's.

14. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Originally Posted by BratwurstDimSum [​IMG]
    Herr Generale, I'm so glad you mentioned the DUKW,

You're right, yours is a laughable statement. The last time I looked the DUKW didn't have a teeny-weeny little bit of armour, being an amphibious truck.

No to mention what JCFalkenbergIII said too...

15. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Definitely the bomb.

16. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Best weapon?
    Ivan.

Runs on anything from Grass to Vodka. No weather too tough, no mechanical failure. Good supply and easy to manufacture.

Sloniksp likes this.
  17. comiso90

comiso90 Member

Huh? I wasn't referencing the DUKW when I mentioned armor... I was addressing his misgivings with American vehicles and acknowledging the notion that American tanks were worth disparaging.

Yes the post is 3 tears old... so? I was responding to the thought..

18. comiso90

comiso90 Member

Including hatred for Germans!

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I have to agree LOL. There are many so many characteristics and abilities to take into consideration in addition to a persons own views and bias. and for example what do you consider the "Best" in a weapon? Sometimes I think there should be another discussion on particular items about what people consider a "BEST" aspect of a weapon or vehicle. For example : "What is considered the best AFV for defensive use" or "What AFV is the best for breakthrough and why?? " Some vehicles were developed for tasks other then tank vs. tank. I consider the Tiger I to be the best tank for defensive work due to its armor and weapon. The Panther and T-34 for tank vs tank. And the Sherman as a breakthrough vehicle. Another thing is to clarify what type of Tank you are asking about. Light,Medium,Heavy. Tank vs Tank or Infantry? Breakthrough or Assault. There are many different uses of tanks. The same goes for Aircraft,Ships,Rifles,Ect.

20. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

If that's the case then please be try to be more explicit when posting next time.