Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Black Eagle MBT

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by Mutant Poodle, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
  2. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2

Awesome!

The turret design looks very effective, the forward part being a steeply sloped hemisphere like construction. Very low profile too! Looks like a great tank.

3. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Been tracking Black Eagle development for about 4 years now. The pictures, which I also have in a Russian-language magazine, show the mock-up temporary turret, some photos even show that turret on a bog-standard T-80 hull - count the road wheels, 6 for T-80 hull, 7 for BE.
    Apparently the overall height is to 1.8 metres (although one source claims 0.8 metres lower than T-80U!!), the entire crew in the hull, ie commander and gunner below hull-top level sitting in the basket, with the weapon in a "pod", and bustle-mounted autoloader.
    No Arena, but Drozhd -damn I like Arena, better all-round coverage.
    Kaktus-5 or better ERA (effective vs KE as well as CE), including turret top.
    135 or 152 mm gun (what chance Leo 2A6 with the L/55 now?), early reports said 152 (which has always been a "traditional" Russian calibre cf KV-2, &c), but are now tending towards 135mm.
    And the Yanks, Germans and UK have dropped ideas for the 140mm - claiming similar performance can be met with the L/55 (1670 metres/sec on L/44, 1750 m/sec on L/55 for ~10% increase in muzzle energy).
    Hmm I bet a shift from 125 to 135 gives better than 10%.
    Oli

4. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh, yeah, forgot this one.
    MBT-killing rail gun.
    Kirkudbright (MoD) had a 4000 m/sec IIRC running 25 years ago (The Engineer, about July-August 1980). But sat on an LAV? :roll: :lol:
    Recoil!!! If it's got the muzzle enegy to kill an MBT how are you going to attenuate the recoil an a vehicle as light as LAV?
    But search through Google for FCS/ Future Combat System. There's some .pdf files kicking about showing concepts for scout vehicles with a six-barrel rotary, three at 25mm, interleaved with 3 at 35mm. Three barrels at a time selected for HE or AP rounds and a V) of 6000 m/sec. And these are serious proposals for the next decade or thereabouts!! :D
    Oli
    In case you want to know, the 4k/sec at Kircudbright was pushing out small diameter projectiles made of Lexan (industrial strength clear plastic used for machinery guards), I think they weighed 4 grammes.

5. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I wonder how it would do against all the other MBTs in service today...