Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Blond Knight of Germany.

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by C.Evans, Sep 3, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

a biography of Erich Hartmann.

Anyone here ever read this book? Im on page 5 and already love this well-written book.

If there are any Luftwaffe buffs on this forum other than Erich and I, I highly suggest this book which is by: Raymond F. Toliver and Trevor J. Constable. It also has a forward written by Adolf Ferdinand Galland.

I already see that this book will be in my top 5 all-time favorite biographies.

2. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl, that book has been out for quite some time and dare I say that its somwhat boring. The bulk of it goes into a narration of his missions, enabling the reader to get lost and lose interest pretty fast. I have another book with considerably more illustrations (covering from when he was a child in China thru lobbying with NATO officials for the use of the F-104 Starfighter) but the name escapes me right now; I'll have to dig it out.

Yet another shooting down that Hartmann is responsible for. [​IMG]

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Actually im on page 49 now, and still loving the book. I find the narrative well done and interestingly put. I am open to other thoughts on this book till I read the last page but, so far, im enjoying it rather well.

I also like the fact that you hear of other aces too and that there are many photos. When you dig up that other title on the ace of aces, please let me know so I can start looking for a copy. I need a good book to go with the photo you autographed in 1991 shortly before you passed away.

4. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl, I found it. Its titled Erich Hartmann: German Fighter Ace. Co-authored by Harmann (yes, Erich himself) and Jager. Shouldn't be too hard to find; I still see it at Barnes & Noble every once and a while.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Alriiiiight!!! Thanks much for letting me know about your book and where to get it. When I get it in, will you please sign it for me? ;)

Seriously though, thanks for letting me know, I definately want that book. :D

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just finished reading this book last night and it DEFINATELY is worth it. It will forever be a part of my growing library. [​IMG]

Since I have read this book and "experianced" what Erich did as they were happening to him, I have learned much.

One thing for sure is that, this greatest Ace achieved many many amazing accomplishments in his lifetime.

He truely was a very brave and audacious man. Erich being Germanys top Luftwaffe pilot and at the tender age of 23, also being one of the Wehrmachts youngest Majors, is in itself, a major accomplishment.

I, unfortunately, only learned about this magnificant human being only possibly within the last 15-20 years. I wished I had known this person while he was still living.

I am very fortunate that I have an autographed photo of this great Blond Knight ((Erich, I havent forgotten to make a copy for you, I just havent had the time yet)) nor have I forgotten to make you a copy of another ME-109 photo I have which is being armed.

As anyone can tell, I highly recommend this book of Erich Hartmann. Now if I can only find GOOD books about Guenther Rall, Adolf Ferdinand Galland, Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff, "The Star of Africa"-Hans-Joachim Marseille and another all-time favorite of mine--Hans-Ulrich Rudel......

Darn shame the online German phone book isnt working lately, or I would see if "Bubis" crewchief--Herr Bimmel, is still living.... THAT would also be a nice interview to have here as would be Sergeant Jungers interview.

7. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Well I'm glad you liked it so much, Carl.

But be sure to spare a thought for his (many) accomplishments long after the war. I have seen a photo of him and his wife, circa around 1954, where he is posing in front of his brand new silver Porsche 356 speedster. Bore a striking resemblance to James Dean.

Rebel with a cause............

8. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Member

Speaking about "Bubi". I read something about his return in a train from Russia, about ten years later a woman at the station who was making the registry of the people recognized him as the Ace.

How was his period at Russia as POW?

Does he was tortured?

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The Russians treated him like shi# and he was starved but at least never beaten. I will send you many more details about his imprisonmant in a day or so.

By the way, I have a book I want to send to you but I lost your address, please resend me your address and I should have it ready to send to you in a few days.
    Take care Rodrigo--yours-Carl.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

check www.schifferbooks.com or something similiar for books covering Herr Galland and Rudel and I think there is a fairly new book on our African ace as well as a new book on Rall is in the works if not completed already. Macky Steinhoff did 2 books covering his career and his buds going up against fatty at the end of the war and his short service with JG 7 and JV 44. "The Final Hours" is the last titel.
    Send the pics when you can, no rush....

Erich :D :D

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear E's Hartmann and Brown, and some stuff for Rodrigo.

E.H, if you can email me a scan of that "James Dean" photo, I would really like to see it. Also, im named after "The Dean" myself-tis my middle name. :D

E.B. I needed the laugh--thanks. Also thanks for the neue link, I will be looking forward to buying a few books for "the collection" especially since im now into Imperial stuff, I saw 3-4 books I want. I also like the idea that they are looking for authors and new ideas--maybe my collectables books idea will get off the ground. Also, I have a book already written--doesnt need any pictures, but just some updating, im gonna pitch that to Shiffer as well.

Thanks, and I will be copying photos tomorrow at Kinkos. I have some Imperial ones to send to my friend Rick, some DKG photos to my friend Franscois, and these to you. By the way, I have some I wanna make for Martin Drewes that I think he will enjoy. I just got a letter from him this morning. He was telling me he and the wife will be in germany for awhile attending the big RKT gathering and the big International Jagdfleigertreffen gathering. He is going to see about buying me a copy of his book while there and wants to send it to me as a gift--cooooool eh?

Since im off thur and fri, I can at least get the photo copies done and ive still tried to forward the Dietsche photos but the damn internet keeps fouling up and it just gets resent back to me :mad: Whatever is wrong with the internet needs to be fixed. I havent been able to access half of my emails today because they wouldnt load up for me to see. I owe several poeple replies including our own Rodrigo.

For Rodirigo--on Erich Hartmenn in a Russian Gulag.

When he first surrendered at wars end, they surrendered to G.I.s who then after about 10 days-were forced to give them to the waiting Russian soldiers. Ther were I think appx 2,ooo soldiers and civilians in the group that surrendered.

They were escourted to the waiting russians who then proceeded to rape many German women and killed anyone who tried to stop the rapes. Erich and his comrades were forced to watch and could not do anything about the rapes.

They were marched to various camps and or were stuffed into trains for long distances. They were not fed for several days nor when they did get any food, was it filling.

The only real medical treatment they got was to be deloused for infections and lice, as the russians were terrified of epidemics.

Erich was transferred to many gulags in his 10 and 1/2 years as a prisoner. The russians tried to force hartmann to do slave labor in coalmines etc, but he refused and was put into solitary confinement for days and weeks on end. Usually this was just a hole in the ground with a tin roof covering and no light. Erich endured this kind of punishment many times in that decade.

Hartmann also tried to commit suicide by starvation but, the russians forced fed him a high protien mixture of milk, eggs and sugar. They would have a few guards physically hold him down while someone else would stuff a tube in his mouth pouring the mixture down it. He was forced to swallow. This went on for about a month during one incident.

Another time, he was being tormented by some KGB jerko, and that jerk used physical violence on him to which Hartmann picked up a chair and slammed it into the KGB jerks head knocking him unconscious. Erich thought he would be shot, but was put back into the hole in the ground for about 2 weeks.

He was also transferred to another camp, and again they tried to force him into slave labor which he again would not do. More solitary confinement, threats etc.

In the time he was imprisoned, his wife wrote over 400 letters, to which Erich only recieved 50. The Russians told him that they could kidnap Usch, and do with her what they wished if he didnt cooperate. Erich still kept his calm and didnt let the KGB win.

Finally in 1952, Erichs mother sent a letter to that jerk hisself stalin, asking him to release Erich. Needless to say, stalin never replied. Erichs mother sent a letter to Adenauer the German President, who then sent a personal reply to Mrs hartmann saying they will try to get Erich released.

It took many more months, but they finally got the russians to release Erich along with other prisoners. Some photos of him in the book, shows Erich looking almost like a walking skeleton. :mad: I wonder for what purpose the russians can come up with to explain why prisoners had to be starved??

Rodrigo, also, I should be ready to send you package tomorrow if I can access the email you sent me today before I leave here for work. I tried to access it earlier but the internet keeps messing up. I will get it out to you as soon as I access the email.

Take care you all--Carl.

12. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Member

Carl, thanks a lot for information about Bubi. And thanks again for the book.
    [​IMG]

So I´ll have to wait a little to meet Herr Martin Drewes at Blumenau?
    :rolleyes:

13. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl, its damn near impossible to scan anything here with the resources at my current disposal. However, be sure to look for that book we discussed. Its predominantly a picture book itself!

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

For Rodrigo and E.H.

Rodrigo, Quite welcome, had I had more time today I would have written it better. Herr Drewes didnt say exactly how long he would be in Germany, but I imagine since he is attending both functions, he might be gone a month?? or a few weeks?? Anyway, he said he will send me another letter when he gets back and I will let you know the moment I hear back from him.

E.H. No problem and I understand. However, if you can scan a picture on a copier, id gladly reimburse you for it--especially if it is on photo quality stock. That costs about $1.50. Plus I would give you something for your time.

See you here tomorrow--Carl.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Like I said, send when you can. I've tried to send materials via net to my friend Neil for our web-pages but there are so many virus's and hackers taking great pains to proceed with their own terroist activities, it is not even worth my trouble. By the way Carl, please give my regards to martin and that I will be writing him soon with several late war questions. In fact there is a new night fighter forum that has just started via a Canadian friend by the name of Greg. I'll post the URL later.

E

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich, sure will tell Martin. Im going to send him a letter tomorrow. Also, I will be VERY interested in seeing that Nachtjagdgeschwader site :D :D :D :D Do you have any pics of Martin Drewes? ((I know ask a stupid question, get a st.......))

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

The Nachtjäger seite is just a forum. I thought I would wait till it gets going a little bit before posting the URL, heck I'll probably post tomorrow if I am around the house. AYou know I have no pics of martin and I have not written him either. This goes for Greiner and Werner Hoffmann and too many others. It's so very easy to get wrapped up into too many things.......of course you know that my friend.
    There wil be more new stuff on our web-pages very soon as we are working with aviation artist Keith Ferris and three of his paintings, as we are giving him a little snipet of history for his files. maybe he will allow us to post something of his soon.

E :D :D :D ;)

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Definately interested in the NJG forum. I had thought you did have photos of Martin Drewes, and had thought you had been corresponding with him, maybe im thinking too much? :eek: :eek: :eek:

At any rate, im going to let him know about the NJG forum--maybe he even has a computer??? I know several RKTs that do, along with several of the men from U 181, which is how I keep up on things with my comrades. I wish Remy had a computer....

Well, if I have his photo with me, I will make a copy of it too along with the press photos. In fact, im heading over to kinkos in about 20 minutes to get them done. I would have done it this afternoon, but they were wayyyy tooo crouded and I didnt feel like standing in line for 1 hr.

Anyways, I will let you know when I have them ready to mail. See you possibly tomorrow...................................

19. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl, email me your current mailing adress, and I'll copy it off and send the pic to you - free of charge. My preference email is jjanota@WW2N.COM. Thanks.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

For both, Erichs Hartmann and Brown.

EH, I sent you a pvt mssg, and I have a copy of a nice photo I think you will like.

EB, the copies I am to send to you are finally back, now just for me to find your snail mail address (Again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )