Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Bomb of Nazi Germany

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Eisenhower, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

What if Einstein had stayed in Germany, helping Hitler complete the first atom bomb?

2. Vermillion

Vermillion Member

Firstly, Albert Einstein had very little to do with the development of the Atom Bomb apart from providing some necessary background. Furthermore, that background was not proprietary, and German scientists had access to his work even though he was in the US. It is with that work that Germany became the first nation to split the atom in experimental conditions. By the time they did that, Germany was already ahead of Einstein’s work.

However, other more important to the Bomb project, such as Oppenheimer and Fermi, also fled Germany or Italy to the US, so if they had not fled, then perhaps the question is valid.

It would have taken a LOT more than a couple scientists, no matter how smart, o develop the bomb. The Manhattan project cost an astronomical amount of money, something Germany could not have afforded without drastic cuts elsewhere. Even given the money and the additional scientists, the political will to develop such a hypothetical weapon over the long term was not there.

Not only was the bomb project not considered worthwhile by the Nazi high Command, but particle physics was looked down upon as one of the Jewish sciences.

Germany was nowhere developing a bomb theory, let along a functional bomb by the end of the war. The addition of a few scientists, however brilliant, would not have significantly changed that.

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I support Vermillion on this ( :eek: ) Einstein didn't have to do with it. And Fermi, Oppenheimer and others were more needed to develop that weapon. And most important of all. Germany would have needed to get rid of nazi ideology to have enough and qualified scientists to achieve this technological goal. :rolleyes:

4. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

haha...okay...let me rephrase the question here... [​IMG]
    what if the germans did, by any means, build the first nuclear bomb? just ignore all facts about scientists leaving etc. (just consider this purely fictional).

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Ike, why don't you add your comments to any one of the other 1.000 threads about the German A-bomb? :rolleyes: It would be MUCH easier...

6. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

haha...if I knew they existed I would have. :rolleyes: oh well...

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

8. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

haha...thanks

9. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Use the search function. In many cases, you will find old threads on the topic.

10. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

yes I know that now, and I'll do it in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.