Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The British Move Quickly Across the Nijmegen Bridges

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Hufflepuff, Feb 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. uksubs

uksubs Member

From what I've read the problem was that The US airborne troops spent to much time defending the heights instead of going for the bridge in the first place & it was left for the British armour to take & clear the town :eek:

2. USMC

USMC Member

Well remember the river crossing the 82nd airborne had to make. Without British armor, the American paratroopers would be outgunned in terms of fire supremacy. The paratroopers could not capture the bridge simply by themselves. The Germans had several Panther tanks and 80mm mortars on the opposite side of the bridge. The Americans would have been decimated and possibly not have even taken the bridge throughout the entire operation. With the help of British armor the river crossing was made possible. Even with the covering fire from the British the paras sustained many casualties nicknaming the beach "little omaha", in reference to Omaha Beach on June 6th, 1944.

3. kes2007

kes2007 Member

there was a lot of intel on enemy armour but it was ignored ,also i think browning interfered too much but that said there was just too many mistakes throughout the whole plan ,but you got to admire the blokes on the ground who had to put into practice this crazy idea

4. kes2007

kes2007 Member

what would you have done differently with the info they had????

5. fusilier azza

fusilier azza Member

the single road has to be the biggest factor for xxx corps inabillity to advance across nijmagen bridge,had they been in good shape and made the crossing as planned i still think the outcome would have been the same..i think montgomery was to blame with bad planning.... oh and those old men on bikes.