Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Children of The Blitz

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by GRW, Mar 29, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Wonder if any are still alive?
    "Incredible black and white images have been released in a new book showing how the lives of children in Britain were affected during the Second World War.
    The shocking pictures show children sitting in an Anderson air-raid shelter at the bottom of their garden, a 12-year-old girl digging a trench for air-raid protection and the remains of a school that was demolished by a German doodlebug overnight.
    Other photos show a family playing in their garden in Exeter and in contrast show the ruins of their home after the Blitz in 1942.
    In another image, a boy is pictured playing war games and a young girl trying on her father's ARP helmet."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-s-lives-Second-World-War.html#ixzz4cliH2ymF

KJ Jr and Brian Smith like this.
  2. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Gordon a good selection of photos, thank you for posting.

When such as this along with newspaper reports and war diaries etc to read to give a real feel of the period and time I struggle to get excited about new films and books rehashing and rewriting history.

A good find.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Gordon. Unquestionably displaying the human side of the conflict. Very unique.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Oddly, or not, I always think of the Beatles when I think of those war time British kids. So many lost fathers, so much struggle during and then after the war.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

But on the other hand, an incredible sense of Community. Both my parents lived through the Blitz in East London ( and my Dad was 'bombed out' - twice ) and still say that they've never known such a sense of solidarity with 'strangers' since.

6. Owen

Owen O

Had to Streeview Rothesay Road, Gosport where the street party photo was taken.
    It could be one of 2 locations .
    Google Maps
    rothesay road then.JPG

rothesay road now.JPG

edit: or could be...

rothesay road now alternative.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017