Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The EU of today Vs. The Third Reich

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Ben Dover, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

Both fought nationalism, both wanted a federalised continent.
    I think the EU's human rights are a lot better,
    The Third Reich is the EU's lesson to the world; the EU justifies its existence through this history.
    Donald Trump could learn less about power and more about legacy if he stopped giving Muslims little star and crescent stickers to wear [citation needed]; and the EU could learn about democracy and the nation state.

denny likes this.
  2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]

Thesis: A study of the Third Reich as compared to the current EU will produce lessons for Donald Trump and the EU.

One clear takeaway is that the EU has better human rights that Nazi Germany. Revelatory stuff.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's why Brexit is so awesome! Without it, you'd be forced to speak Belgian within a few years.

ColHessler likes this.
  4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

My first instinct was to lock this thread down and did so for a minute until I saw the post from our dear and fluffy overlord.

I will be watching this closely, my lock down key ever ready.

5. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

The EU is not the Third Reich, and is not the USSR (although some people call it the EUSSR).
    The only weak common link is the fact the EU is an illiberal democracy (empty democracy), ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

President Trump at least was elected, and is supported by half of Americans.
    President of the EU Donald Tusk hasn't been elected but nominated, and represents nobody, even in his native country, which government is hostile to him.

There are elections for the EU parliament, but nobody votes in them, the candidates are usually failed, unemployed politicians and perfect nobodies anyway.

ColHessler likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The thread of the year , at least .....

7. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Not sure I agree with that......sorry you are not English..... I mean I disagree with your post.

The EU has two levels of democratic representation.

The Council of Ministers is the main decision making body comprised of the elected politicians of the member states. Donald Tusk was democratically elected as President by the Council of Ministers to chair the council - i.e by our own elected political leaders. He represents Europe not any single state and cannot hold a national office. The fact that the current Polish government does not like him is irrelevant. (1) The commissioners are their appointed servants.

Governance is via the elected MEPs and if the populace does not exercise their rights, more fool them. The MEP structure is proportional representation which meant that Nigel Farage, who has failed to be elected to the Westminster Parliament under the first past the post system has been an MEP for over a decade. Paradoxically one the most influential politicians in the last year is an MEP. The fact that the EU has funded and tolerated the politicians who sought its downfall illustrates the democratic and liberal values of the EU.

Quite frankly any comparison between Nazi Germany and the EU is absurd, except as a contrast of opposites or an attempt to wind up the Germans who might be deeply offended given their post war history.

Re 1 The current polish government seem to be a petty bunch. There is a new WW2 museum supposed to open in Gdansk. Tusk praised it as part of the Liberation Route Europe tourism project. That seems to have been the trigger to announce that significant changes need to be made to the content with shades of Eastern Block "approved history"

Alsa.se and GRW like this.
  8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Is this really happening?

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Must be the twilight zone , but yes, it is happening..

10. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Thank you for this adjustment. I agree with.

11. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

So a politician elected by politicians.
    The politicians who elected Donald Tusk have been politically dead for a year - like ancient Egyptian mummies, and there will be no The Mummy Returns in this case.
    If you don't represent the people you have no right to govern them.

But the point is the EU is an empty democracy, desing by a committee and ruled by a committee.
    The EU is a bureaucratic Rube Goldberg machine - people feel no emotional connection with it, don't understand its inner workings, have no influence on anything. Voter turnout is low or negligible.
    And this is not going to change.

Compare it with the US with its direct elections, high voter turnout, voters' high emotional engagement. There is simply no comparison.

Compare the number, the sophistication, the quality of youtubers interested and engaged in American politics, with the number of youtubers interested in EU politics.
    The latter simply don't exist.
    This shows the difference between a living and evolving political system, and a dead, bureaucratic machine the EU is.

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Political related thread : Moved to the latr.....stump....

13. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    I just do not know how you generate so much rubbish. Please get out more and meet real people rather than sitting in front of a keyboard dreaming up this nonsense.

14. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

...and here we go...........................................................................................................................

..................................again.

15. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Tough love, the truth often hurts.