Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The face of Hitler's British SS: Chilling pictures of the traitors who joined the Fuhrer's most evil

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by PzJgr, Mar 21, 2010.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

At first glance, he looks to be a regular corporal in Hitler's dreaded Waffen-SS. The uniform is certainly familiar enough. But look a little closer and two disturbing clues emerge as to his true identity. On the man's right arm, a Union Flag shield is just visible, while his right collar tab hides a strange insignia - the three lions of the Royal Standard of England. For this corporal was no ordinary Nazi. He belonged to a shadowy and little-known unit of the SS called the British Free Corps (BFC), a group of treacherous British and Commonwealth soldiers who decided to fight for the Nazis rather than spend the war in honourable captivity as PoWs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259632/Hitlers-British-SS-Chilling-pictures-traitors-joined-Fuhrers-evil-unit--Union-Flag-sleeve.html#ixzz0irWQWBBc

sunny971 likes this.
  2. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

very interesting story... hard to imagine why these men would rather fight for the SS than serve for his own country...especially after seeing London bombarded by the Germans, wouldn't they want revenge?

That reminds me of todays american terrorists.. Like the newest "jihad Jane" .. or the american who fought for Al Queda.. I forget his name. He was captured in Afghanistan by US forces after shortly after 9-11

Pretty terrible thing to do.

3. FhnuZoag

FhnuZoag Member

Eh. Once again the Mail tells an inadequete story. Wikipedia has a more complete article - British Free Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was basically a group that fell way short of the ambitions its masters had for it, being infiltrated from the very top by british intelligence, who moulded it into the very exemplar of total incompetence.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

There is a great website out there in webland on the BFC. Ill see if i can find it and will post the link here. In it you get the name of every or about every Brit or resident of the UK who served in the BFC.

I posted all that info on another site that I no longer have access to but someone here might still be able to go there and retrieve it ;-)0

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

6. ChaoS

ChaoS Member

Well until you live in middle east and see their receiving end, it's easy to say.

I for one understand WHY people join terrorists. If you had your house destroyed and family killed by Israel or US missile....or were simply FORCED to join them....or how about the fact that you have absolutely NO future in MOST of those countries....

There are MANY reasons why people join terrorist group.

I know one thing, America is not innocent and fuels the problem (most of the time).

Look at what we are doing in Afghanistan, paying terrorists not to attack etc. We are still sending BILLIONS to Pakistan. And we continue to let our business sector DICTATE our politicians.

What do you expect? Terrorism is here to stay and it will only get worse.

7. tali-ihantala

tali-ihantala Member

nice post and fyi the last person awarded the Iron Cross in WW2 was a FRENCHMAN! from the Charlemagne Division

8. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

In regards to the last posts, this is facisnating and all but what does this have to do with British SS in ww2?

Lets keep the modern middle eastern war and politics discussions in the right threads and not in the ww2 related ones.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Fuels the problem, most of the time? Clarify this, please.

Terrorism in the Mideast has been a problem since before the birth of this nation. We started combating it in 1801 and it will continue to be a problem for years to come.

10. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

I think the number of British prisoners as opposed to the number of members joining the BFC tells the story here.

Churchill said it all for us...."We shall NEVER surrender."

World War Two will forever remain "The Finest Hour" for the British and their Allies. A time when we as ordinary humans voted with our feet against tyranny. The BFC were drunken opportunists, with no sence of honour.

May their memory be forever black. Like the Greek traitor Ephialtes at Thermopolyae, may their memory exist forever.

11. Long Bars

Long Bars Member

The unit never had much success and came to be regarded by the Germans as a failure, but still the members of the BFC disgust me. There are few kinds of peoples I hate more then traitors.

12. Hilts

Hilts Member

It's leader John (?) Amery was son of a Tory minister. He was hanged at Wandsworth prison a few days before Lord Haw-Haw, William Joyce.

13. redcoat

redcoat Ace

Its quite amazing the publicity that a group of less than 40 misfits and deadbeats get for joining the SS, but the other side of the coin is virtually unknown.

During WW2 nearly 10,000 German and Austrian nationals served in the British armed forces
    Britain's secret German army - Telegraph

ps; Before anyone starts to call these brave men and women traitors, it should be remembered that the Nazi's had already stripped the vast majority of them of their German citizenship for the so called 'crime' of being Jewish or having Jewish ancestors. They didn't betray Germany..... Germany betrayed them.

14. Mccalldy

Mccalldy recruit

in a way though the germans fighting for the allies is different in my opinion. it may be wrong or you guys might say whatever...The germans that did this probabally wanted to end hitlers reign so i support this. But the brits who joined Germany were just cowards. Idk this is just my thinking on this.

15. Timo

Timo Member

Such discussions about who's a traitor and who's not usually remind me of the "General Hospital" episode of "Blackadder":

ColHessler likes this.
  16. AWarGuy

AWarGuy Member

It kind of reminds you of the PoW's captured by the Germans and they gave them a choice either:

Serve in the German Army
    or
    Go to a PoW camp/concentration camp.
    But they were mostly Polish/Russian but I never heard of a Brit that served in the SS.

17. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

As well as the German and Austrians who served as Monitors at the BBC Wood Norton radio site and later Caversham and M unit also at Wood Norton. Some of whom had been interned at vaious stages in UK. Without them and their unique talents Bletchley et al would have been missing much needd information.

18. fusilier azza

fusilier azza Member

not sure the british lot who volunteered for the ss actually did anything other than loaf about,which is probably what they did before they were captured and asked to join.

19. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

I saw a documentary about them weren't they forced to join i remember something about being beaten?Some joined because being a pow is not the best kind of treatment.Besides if you look in deeper you would know the whole thing is rigged by a British double agent and it was destine to fail.

20. ez58

ez58 recruit

I seem to remember watching a documentary on this matter where the son of one of the volunteers traced his fathers involvement for the camera. These men underwent SS training with a view to active service having previously been approached while POW's.

Few of the men saw active service having presumably not been deemed suitable for the Waffen SS. The documentary inferred that the men purposely failed the selection process and they were part of a spoiling plan aginst the SS.

I was always under the inpression that selection for any Waffen SS unit was extremely tough and recruits who were either not up to standard or in this case obstuctive were dealt with very severely - in which case it seems a highly risky undertaking for people who could have stayed in a POW camp and relative safety.

I do remember that the man whos father was one of the volunteers ended the documentary very upset by his actions and at the knowledge his father was a traitor. Very sad indeed.

From my own mind they wore the uniform of the Waffen SS while still officially under oath to defend King and Country (POWs or not) and I find it very difficult to justify their actions regardless of their lack of active service or inferred intentions to sabotage the enemy from within.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Neil.