Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Favre Era...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Mussolini, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Hello Clint. Unfortunatly I can not agree with that. While Favre will always add that worry factor I just don't feel he has "it" anyore. His passes have become questionable over the years. He doesn't even have any strength behind it. Favre kind of just lobs it up and hopes it's his reciever that comes down with the ball. The biggest diffrence I see with Elway and Favre is that Elway actually signed a contract in between seasons and showed up for camp. Favre himself said he would still play if he didn't have to go to camp. Now that the tough part of training camp is over he wants to play:rolleyes:

More like the last five years. Remember why the Packers drafted Rodgers? Because Favre was going to retire. But then after they drafted a new QB, who now must get paid first round draft money, Favre decides to play, and then does the same crap again year after year ever since.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I don't disagree with your interpretation, but the odds makers in Vegas seem to do so. They moved the Vikings from 24 to 1 in making the SB, to 12 to 1. They also changed the odds of them making the NFC Championship from 12 to 1 to something like 5 to 1. It appears to the odds makers that adding Favre is the "missing piece" from a pretty decent team with good to excellent defense, a superior running game, and only a questionable QB spot holding them back. We shall see. I hope it is a "good thing", and not a distraction. One thing I noticed already, Favre has replaced Vick in the headlines!

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Hi Clint. I lost all faith in Vegas' odds during last years baseball playoffs. They had better odds for the Phillies to win the WS than any other team left after the first round, but placed the Dodgers with better odds to win the NLCS.

Now that you mentioned the Vick part, my knee jerk reaction to Favre signing with Minnesota was that he couldn't stand Vick hogging the headlines. :D

Personally I think the chances of the Vikings making the SB hinge on the O-line. If they can give AP a large enough hole to run through, it will not matter who the QB is.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I was only pointing out how his addition changed the odds, not that I think they (the odds makers) are always right, or even anything like it. Just that his addition altered the odds, that is all. They do have a pretty good O line, a great D., and the "distraction/worry" of Favre in the QB spot may just open up the downfield receivers, and crossing routes more. I dunno, waiting to see the outcome.

5. D1J1

D1J1 Member

I'd rather see Vick succeed than Favre. Vick committed a crime, paid the price and seems to want to do right.

Favre is a self-centered, revenge seeking individual interested primarily in an individual goal, sticking it to the Packers. I can't help but think he has hurt this team more than he's helped it. That's based on his ego-centric approach combined with the decision to come back when camp is basically over and being handed a job without sharing in the sacrifices of camp.

This seems more like "Days of Our Lives" or the WWE than the NFL.

Regards,
    Dennis

6. R. Evans

R. Evans Member

Couldn't agree more. Favre should never have played last year, let alone this year. What happened to the Jets? Started fast and then faded. Just like an older athelete will. Wonder if there was a connection?;)

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

No matter how others feel about Favre and his coming back for another shot (a multi-million $ shot BTW), this has to be factored in as well.

The bottom line with Favre joining the Vikings is that, in the past, every defensive coordinator in the league that has played the Vikings has taken liberties. What I mean by that is that on first and second downs, defenses have stacked eight or nine defenders in the box, doing whatever they can to stop the Vikings running game. The running game was ranked No. 5 in the league last year — the passing game No. 25 in the league. That will all change with Favre.

Most importantly, because defenses have taken that approach, the receivers have faced man-to-man situations. The Vikings are better at wideout now than they have been in the past. Bernard Berrian had seven touchdowns and averaged 20.1 yards per catch last season, which was better than anyone in the league that had more than 40 catches. First-round pick Percy Harvin is an X-factor. He can play in the Wildcat formation, he can line up wide, he can line up in the slot, he can line up at halfback. TE Visanthe Shiancoe had seven touchdown catches last season.

All of a sudden Favre has some pretty significant weapons. On first and second downs, if defenses want to play man coverage and take liberties, Favre can change everything for the Vikings.

The way I look at it, RB Adrian Peterson should get just as many yards — if not more — on fewer carries. The Vikings will be more efficient in the running game with Favre behind center. Also, the Vikings were one of the worst teams in the league in converting red-zone touchdowns — when the field gets compressed and decision-making becomes even more crucial at the quarterback position. You have a quarterback now with experience in the red zone. The Vikings should fare much better than they did last year in red zone conversions, when they ranked 28th in the league.

It’s the same situation on third down. With Peterson in the game, you should not be facing third-and-long. So, when I look at Favre on the Vikings — ignoring all of the obvious things — what I see is the Vikings getting better in the red zone and on third downs. Last season, they allowed 43 sacks, which is inexcusable given the number of passing attempts they made. Their sacks allowed should decrease, and their efficiency should be better.

Really, Favre makes the entire offense better. As long as he stays healthy — with the caveat that he makes good decisions and doesn’t throw the ball away to the defense (which he can do) — and as long as he plays the way that John Elway did at the end of his career, where he makes good decisions and takes shots when they’re there, this is a legitimate Super Bowl team.

In Favre, the Vikings have an experienced quarterback who understands how to pre-read defenses prior to the snap, and the Vikings will take advantage of that. In terms of the playbook, they can do more than they did with either Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson.

– Mike Mayock

See:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/18/what-favre-really-means-to-vikings-offense/

What if he takes the Vikings to a Super Bowl? Or even the NFC Championship? Are either of those rings worth the risk of $12 million? What are the recipts from those exposures worth to the Viking coffers? What is his presence worth to gate recipts, or sponser pay for TV time?

ESPN is even changing which games it will cover with Favre in the mix. The odds makers in Vegas have changed the Vikings odds of going to the SB from 1 in 26 to 1 in 12. They have also altered their going to the NFC Championship from 1 in 12 to 1 in 6. They are never right all the time of course, but the odds changed by Favre being in the mix.

With that in mind, his possible value to the Vikings, and his own pocket can any of you say with authority you wouldn't do the same if you could? And for those kinds of bucks?

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The problem, as I see it, has less to do with Favre's skills (or lack thereof), and more to do with what he perceives to be his skills. I think he still sees himself as the stud QB of his Packers days. I only watched him a few times last season, and it was plain to me that his mental skill far surpassed his physical skill. He knew what he wanted to do, but lacked the quickness and arm strength to get it done. I suspect the Vikings will not reach the SB, and that Favre will turn into a huge distraction to the team. It pains me to watch a superior athlete struggle toward the end of his career simply because he hasn't come to grips with it. I still cringe mentally when I think about Steve Carlton trying to fend off the inevitable, and in the process stain a Hall fo Fame career.

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I agree completely, however with that said if the Vikes can use him like the Broncos used the aging (then) Elway, with a superb backfield (AP instead of TD), a damn fine O line, and the exceptional D, this might be the piece needed to make the SB and erase those years of getting there only to loose.

I too hate to see a great athlete try and wring "one more time" out of the aging body, but if Favre is used in "situational" places (as Elway was in his final years), but not having to take every snap it might work. Getting Favre to swallow a little ego, and recognize he isn't the "be all end all" for the team like he was in GB, might just work.

We shall see. The guy I always felt for was Joe Montana, he felt slighted by the '49ers, but his final years at KC were only a shadow of his former self. His shadow was bigger than anybody else they had, but still. Another fella I always thought got the short end of the stick his whole career was the QB Montana worked with twice. Steve DeBerg. What a hard luck QB. Drafted high to replace the SF QB (Brodie?), and he just gets going and who do they draft? Joe Montana. He gets a trade to Denver, who do they draft? John Elway. Gets a trade to Tampa, who do they draft? Testeverde. Gets a trade to KC, and who shows up? Joe Montana again. What a set of deals he got dealt.

10. LRusso216

I guess a lot depends on how he gets used, and whether he can handle not being the main guy. I don't envy Brad Childress, who I believe was a fine offensive coordinator when he was with the Eagles.

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Agreed, Childress and his ability to "coach" a head-strong ego is the key. See my post #4 on this thread with a link to how Elway was used in the final years of Bronco play. He threw fewere passes, played fewer games, and was fresh in the playoffs and the SB.

If Favre can be used like that, or close to that, then the whole picture changes for "many-sore-toes".

12. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

13. LRusso216

We should all start reading The Onion for the REAL story behind the headlines.

14. D1J1

D1J1 Member

Favre's success is contingent on how he's used makes sense to me. But it makes even more sense that $12 million does not sit on the bench. He'll get used all right, and used a lot.

Situations be damned! As a coach, do you pull him in a tight game where you're clinging to a slim lead? Pull him out and replace him with who at any point in time and who goes in at QB? A guy you DID NOT trust to do the job in the first place!

Do you trust him to be conservative and protect that lead when he's been a "gunslinger" thorough his whole career? Good luck with that. Check what Fran Tarkington had to say on it too!

By the way, Fran was very mobile and played behind an excellent O line. Destroyed by the Steel Curtain in the Superbowl. Brett comes to the 'burgh this year in November and faces a D as good if not better than the Steel Curtain. Enjoy!

A poster equated an NFC Championship as good value for the contract. If that's the case the Vikes are the only team in the NFL with a goal of finishing second. In pro-sports its all about the winning, period.

Regards,
    Dennis

15. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Dennis, I think you mis-read my post in this. "A poster (me I think) equated an NFC Championship as good value for the contract. If that's the case the Vikes are the only team in the NFL with a goal of finishing second. In pro-sports its all about the winning, period."

They most certainly aren’t "playing for second place" as you mention. The real monetary benefit from any playoff successes comes when teams can charge more for local broadcast rights and sponsorships because of increased fan interest.

However when it comes to hosting the NFC Championship games themselves (let’s say), then the National Football League's policy of sharing playoff-ticket revenue throughout the 32-team league kick’s in. National television revenue also is shared throughout the league for those games, but the teams who make it to the championship make more money in revenue in the build-up regular season games than from the playoff games themselves. The playoff teams (when they host the game) also receive additional concession and merchandise sales within the stadium on game day, and those are not shared with the rest of the league. Then one has to factor in the sponsorship money they get when they sell the rights for the radio broadcasts. Those and other "fees" are not shared with the other teams.

With Favre in the line-up it is possible that the Vikings will be more extensively covered by the NFL and other broadcast networks than they would have been before he signed. Already the ESPN network is shuffling the games it will cover to include the Minnesota team more often than planned pre-season.

What I am trying to convey is that even though the Vikes made it to the playoffs without Favre (where they collapsed), the interest and their "marketablity" may well be increased above the price of his contract.

Lastly, with Favre there, Childress will be more able to "pick and choose" when to use a "gunsliger" than he has been able to. Remember that in the regular season when the Broncos went to the SB (twice), Elway played fewer minutes than in any other seasons, threw fewer passes, and fewer TD passes, but still dominated the competition when it came time for the playoffs becasue he was "uninjured" and fresh. That may be the way to use Favre as well. Save his savy and ability to read defenses until they are really a "tipping point", and put him in. If Favre is half the "team player" he presents himself to be, this will be an attack scenerio the Vikes haven't had for years.

I hope he does get the opportunity to "go get one for we gray beards", I was even a Blanda fan while hating the Raiders. I just enjoyed seeing a guy my Dad's age (almost) playing a young man's game with skill and tenacity.

16. D1J1

D1J1 Member

Good post Clint. I didn't think about Favre as an economic engine, but it doesn't change my mind much.

I am not convinced he can do it, and unless the Vikes renegotiated local rights after his signing but before his play that revenue increase may not occur. You are correct that moving deeper into the playoffs will mean more money for the Vikes. I don't see that as a lock by any stretch of the imagination even with Favre.

I agree there will be a short term revenue increase in ticket and merchandise sales due to the signing. There is no certaintly that they continue beyond this year. Call the financial rewards a toss up.

I think you are fooling yourself on Favre's use and especially his cooperation with any situation that involves him and the sidelines. I think the man is definitely not about being a team player at this point. If he were he would have been in camp with the Vikes, not preening high schoolers and wanna bes in Mississippi.

Questions about his injury could and should have been answered well before camp. That was simply a desire to miss the exotic allure of Mankato State U in favor of home cooking!

The players are being PC on his late arrival and saying all the right things about having a future Hall of Famer as QB. I think that is a facade and the reality will be that his diminished level of skill will quickly expose him. I know what the experts say, but a significant number of them had it as an almost certain lock that Vick was going to the 'burgh too.;)

Good discussion!

Best regards,
    Dennis

17. LRusso216

I think Monday's pre-season game will give s a better read on both Favre and Childress. Favre will play more than a half. We'll see if he looks any better than he did in his first appearance (1-4, under heavy pressure, poor throws, etc.)
    I just don't see him as the mentoring type, willing to come in in certain situations, with reduced playing time. He doesn't appear to have the same kind of temperament that Elway had. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll see how it plays out.

18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I agree wholeheartedly here Lou, let's see what happens on Monday. I too think he might have a tad too much ego to go the "Elway" route, and recognize he is an asset not the "be all end all" he was in GB.

If he can do that, he might make the difference for the Vikes post-season, if not he could end up a distraction instead.

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

He looked pretty good all things considered, I do wish he hadn't "dodged" the training camp time for whatever reason. That would make his need to get in synch with his new team a little less important.

With that showing, and if he can "swallow his ego" a tad in the course of the season his value to the Vikings may actually amount to something.

20. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Favre and the Vikings looked pretty good today, but then again it was the Browns (don't get pissed Cleveland people). The way he was able to play for the time he did, and then take the sideline for the last of the fourth and let T.J. work out the remaining time might bode well for both his aging body and the Vikings as the season progresses.

I was also somewhat surprised that the Broncos managed to ekk out a win against the Bengals with one remarkable return run. They looked like crap warmed over until then. That doesn't bode well for them either.