Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Jim, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Looking on Amazon i came across a book titled "It Never Snows in September: The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem September 1944" now i am always eager to read books that have been written from the German point of view as it helps with the insight of the battle that you know a little about because of what you have read regarding the Allies part. Here is the Review about the book.

On the afternoon of 17 September 1944, Lieutenant Enthammer, a Wehrmacht artillery officer based in Arnhem, gazed up at the clear skies, hardly believing what he saw. White 'snowflakes' appeared to hang in the air. 'That cannot be,' he thought. "It never snows in September! They must be parachutists!' They were. He was witnessing the first wave of the British parachute assault on Arnhem. The war had reached the Reich. The blow moreover had come as a complete surprise. The Allies had expected Operation Market Garden to bring the collapse of the Wehrmacht in the West and shorten the war. But the Germans resolved to fight. Based on extensive research it Never Snows in September uniquely chronicles that struggle through the eyes of the German soldier and analyses the reasons for the eventual outcome. This major work of military history is now reprinted in paperback in response to continuing popular demand.

[​IMG]

Here is a review that a customer has written:

Why did the Germans fight on so tenaciously when the odds were stacked so high against them? This book answers that question. You'll feel a tangible sigh of relief to have such an intelligent overview. What's better is that it is from a German perspective with first hand accounts interwoven with balanced reasoning as to their motivation and thinking at the time. Subtitle = The German View of Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem. One of the finest military history contributions.

You can read all the reviews Here
    Yes i bought it!! :happy:

2. Spitfire XIV-E

Spitfire XIV-E New Member

via War44
    The Allies must also take some of the blame though. Monty for instance ignored Ultra (Enigma Decrypts) warnings of the 2 SS Panzer Grenadier Divisions refitting in the Arnhem area at the time. The weather also played a part as it delayed the 2nd and 3rd waves arrivals. The Germans also got lucky when they found a complete set of plans for the whole operation in a crashed Glider on a dead officer so they knew more or less what was coming. Very brave action by the Paras though and only about one fifth of the actual force eventually made it back across the Rhine to fight another day.

3. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Interesting reviews, reading about "Dutch SS Units" made me raise an eyebrow....

4. Kelly War44

Kelly War44 New Member

via War44
    Might have to invest....:thumb:

5. Jamie 111

Jamie 111 New Member

via War44
    I will keep my eye out for this one.

6. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Book arrived this morning!! :happy:

7. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    I put this book back on the bookshelf after i read about a quarter of it, for some reason i just couldn't get into it!! Will pick it up again some other day .. :sad: